Old 05-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default support for mounting /usr w/out hassle

On Tuesday 01 May 2012 11:45:01 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2012 11:06:42 William Hubbs wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59:02AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > the fact that the script leaves your system in a hard to recover state
> > > is what i'm whining about, not that udev requires devtmpfs.
> >
> > So why did you decide to whine instead of opening a bug?
>
> based on past behavior, i assumed it was operating as indented

blah, swap that 't' & 'd'
-mike

Old 05-01-2012, 04:51 PM
William Hubbs

On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 11:45:01AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2012 11:06:42 William Hubbs wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 11:59:02AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > the fact that the script leaves your system in a hard to recover state is
> > > what i'm whining about, not that udev requires devtmpfs.
> >
> > So why did you decide to whine instead of opening a bug?
>
> based on past behavior, i assumed it was operating as indented
>
> > > we already have examples of the init scripts modifying /etc/issue to
> > > notify login entry points that their system needs manual attention to
> > > recover.
> >
> > This part can't happen in the udev init script since / is ro when it is
> > run. Doing something in udev-postmount is also eroneous because that
> > assumes that the user is booting to the default runlevel which they may
> > not be.
>
> in the past, we would `mount -o remount,rw /`, but that was because we needed
> to add missing dirs in /.

Hmm, if I do that I would also have to put it back ro after I modify
issue because fsck hasn't run yet...

Do we want to mess around with the fs before fsck is run?

William

Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Duncan

Mike Frysinger posted on Tue, 01 May 2012 12:13:27 -0400 as excerpted:
> On Tuesday 01 May 2012 11:45:01 Mike Frysinger wrote:

>> based on past behavior, i assumed it was operating as indented
>
> blah, swap that 't' & 'd'

I thought for SURE that was a deliberate play on words. Mind if I borrow
the phrase? "Operating as indented!" Indeed! Sounds like a bit too
much "percussive maintenance"!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Tuesday 01 May 2012 12:51:55 William Hubbs wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 11:45:01AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > >
> > > This part can't happen in the udev init script since / is ro when it is
> > > run. Doing something in udev-postmount is also eroneous because that
> > > assumes that the user is booting to the default runlevel which they may
> > > not be.
> >
> > in the past, we would `mount -o remount,rw /`, but that was because we
> > needed to add missing dirs in /.
>
> Hmm, if I do that I would also have to put it back ro after I modify
> issue because fsck hasn't run yet...
>
> Do we want to mess around with the fs before fsck is run?

the previous cases made sense in context (they had to modify / anyways), so if
you wanted to skip that step, it's probably fine. i'm not too worried about
fsck as many nowadays recover their journal gracefully at mount time ...
-mike

Old 05-02-2012, 04:52 AM
Luca Barbato