Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM
Jeff Horelick

Default new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives

On 29 April 2012 18:11, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. *it requires glib-2. *it runs pkg-
> config when building. *glib-2 requires pkg-config. *whee.
>
> for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. *but we'd like to enable a
> lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems. *as such, i'd like to
> introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler (but
> compatible) implementations.
>
> we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is also
> "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". *they should be compatible with the canonical
> pkg-config. *they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once we agree on this
> topic.
>
> any comments ?
> -mike

I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
pkgconf work for us.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:29 PM
Luca Barbato

Old 04-30-2012, 12:19 AM
Richard Yao

On 04/29/12 19:29, Luca Barbato wrote:
> On 29/04/12 15:11, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. it requires glib-2. it runs pkg-
>> config when building. glib-2 requires pkg-config. whee.
>
>> for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. but we'd like to enable a
>> lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems. as such, i'd like to
>> introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler (but
>> compatible) implementations.
>
>> we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is also
>> "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". they should be compatible with the canonical
>> pkg-config. they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once we agree on this
>> topic.
>
>> any comments ?
>
> Please do now =)
>
> lu

Agreed.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:40:00 Jeff Horelick wrote:
> On 29 April 2012 18:11, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. it requires glib-2. it runs
> > pkg- config when building. glib-2 requires pkg-config. whee.
> >
> > for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. but we'd like to enable a
> > lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems. as such, i'd like
> > to introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler
> > (but compatible) implementations.
> >
> > we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is
> > also "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". they should be compatible with
> > the canonical pkg-config. they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once
> > we agree on this topic.
> >
> > any comments ?
>
> I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
> authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
> changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
> pkgconf work for us.

that sounds really good. i sent you some patches .

however, it's missing pkg.m4. any thoughts on that ?
-mike

Old 04-30-2012, 04:17 AM
Jeff Horelick

On 30 April 2012 00:08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:40:00 Jeff Horelick wrote:
>> On 29 April 2012 18:11, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> > the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. *it requires glib-2. *it runs
>> > pkg- config when building. *glib-2 requires pkg-config. *whee.
>> >
>> > for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. *but we'd like to enable a
>> > lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems. *as such, i'd like
>> > to introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows for selection of simpler
>> > (but compatible) implementations.
>> >
>> > we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but there is
>> > also "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". *they should be compatible with
>> > the canonical pkg-config. *they aren't yet in the tree, but will be once
>> > we agree on this topic.
>> >
>> > any comments ?
>>
>> I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
>> authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
>> changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
>> pkgconf work for us.
>
> that sounds really good. *i sent you some patches .
>
> however, it's missing pkg.m4. *any thoughts on that ?
> -mike

The patches look pretty good. As far as the solution for pkg.m4...I
just gave it a second look and noticed it's GPLv2+ which means the
license is compatible with pkgconf's (I thought it was GPLv3, which
would've meant it wasn't compatible)...We'll work on getting those
patches and the pkg.m4 in the tree and getting a 0.2 release rolled
out in the next day or 2.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 AM
Luca Barbato

On 29/04/12 21:17, Jeff Horelick wrote:
> On 30 April 2012 00:08, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
>>> authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
>>> changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
>>> pkgconf work for us.
>>
>> that sounds really good. i sent you some patches .
>>
>> however, it's missing pkg.m4. any thoughts on that ?
>> -mike
>
> The patches look pretty good. As far as the solution for pkg.m4...I
> just gave it a second look and noticed it's GPLv2+ which means the
> license is compatible with pkgconf's (I thought it was GPLv3, which
> would've meant it wasn't compatible)...We'll work on getting those
> patches and the pkg.m4 in the tree and getting a 0.2 release rolled
> out in the next day or 2.

I just sent a couple of patches to pkg-config to update the m4 with some
additional macros to provide stock --with-foo, I guess they will be
useful for you as well, if you import it before I can send you the same
patchset.

lu

--

Luca Barbato
Gentoo/linux

Old 04-30-2012, 06:16 AM
Michał Górny

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:08:34 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:40:00 Jeff Horelick wrote:
> > On 29 April 2012 18:11, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > the canonical pkg-config is getting fat. it requires glib-2. it
> > > runs pkg- config when building. glib-2 requires pkg-config.
> > > whee.
> > >
> > > for our normal systems, this isn't a big deal. but we'd like to
> > > enable a lighter alternative for embedded/alternative systems.
> > > as such, i'd like to introduce a virtual/pkgconfig that allows
> > > for selection of simpler (but compatible) implementations.
> > >
> > > we've got an implementation in perl (i'm not interested in), but
> > > there is also "pkg-config-lite" and "pkgconf". they should be
> > > compatible with the canonical pkg-config. they aren't yet in the
> > > tree, but will be once we agree on this topic.
> > >
> > > any comments ?
> >
> > I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
> > authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
> > changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
> > pkgconf work for us.
>
> that sounds really good. i sent you some patches .
>
> however, it's missing pkg.m4. any thoughts on that ?

Maybe we should provide it independently in some other package.
Considering the implementations are supposed to be compatible, the .m4
file should work fine with all of them. And we'll create same configure
files independently of which impl particular user uses.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 AM
Jeff Horelick

On 30 April 2012 02:16, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:08:34 -0400
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> > I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
>> > authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
>> > changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
>> > pkgconf work for us.
>>
>> that sounds really good. *i sent you some patches .
>>
>> however, it's missing pkg.m4. *any thoughts on that ?
>
> Maybe we should provide it independently in some other package.
> Considering the implementations are supposed to be compatible, the .m4
> file should work fine with all of them. And we'll create same configure
> files independently of which impl particular user uses.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Michał Górny

Well since the 3 primary implementations (fd.o pkg-config,
pkg-config-lite and pkgconf-0.2) now provide it, I don't see a huge
use for a seperate package. Also, the pkg.m4 used by all 3 seems to be
identical so...

Old 04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 30 April 2012 02:16:40 Michał Górny wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 00:08:34 -0400 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Sunday 29 April 2012 18:40:00 Jeff Horelick wrote:
> > > I'd just like to say, i'm also an Atheme project member and I have
> > > authorisation from nenolod (the primary pkgconf developer) to make
> > > changes and stuff, so I can upstream any changes necessary to make
> > > pkgconf work for us.
> >
> > that sounds really good. i sent you some patches .
> >
> > however, it's missing pkg.m4. any thoughts on that ?
>
> Maybe we should provide it independently in some other package.
> Considering the implementations are supposed to be compatible, the .m4
> file should work fine with all of them. And we'll create same configure
> files independently of which impl particular user uses.

i debated that, but i'd rather not split the canonical pkg-config package into
(quite literally) two files. it makes upgrading dev-util/pkgconfig more of a
hassle, and having these re-implementations take care of things themselves
seems to be easier atm. if that ends up not being the case, we can always
revisit ... the current implementation doesn't preclude splitting.
-mike

Old 04-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Samuli Suominen