Old 05-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default new virtual/pkgconfig to support lighter alternatives

On Friday 04 May 2012 05:43:55 Samuli Suominen wrote:
> =dev-util/pkgconfig-9999 with USE="internal-glib" in Portage. I'm
> hoping this will render the pkg-config-lite useless so we can drop it.
>
> I'm very much intrested in knowing if this matches the requirements for
> doing so, so I can decide whether I should be rolling also a snapshot
> ebuild for ~arch or not.

i followed up in the bug

> And I'll look into making pkgconfig-openbsd suitable for the virtual
> today too, but I'm not expecting to KEYWORD it ever since even the
> OpenBSD guys declare it only partly compatible in their docs/code.

perl is for masochists
-mike

Old 05-05-2012, 06:02 PM
Jeff Horelick

I didn't mention this last night (probably because I was EXTREMELY
tired), but the entire gentoo-x86 tree has been converted to the
virtual (YAAAAYYYY!!! *kermitflail*). As long as you don't use any
overlays, you should now be able to switch your pkgconfig
implementation to pkgconf[pkg-config] or pkg-config-lite with no
problems.

Please give them (mainly pkgconf) a try and see if everything works.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Samuli Suominen

I didn't mention this last night (probably because I was EXTREMELY
tired), but the entire gentoo-x86 tree has been converted to the
virtual (YAAAAYYYY!!! *kermitflail*). As long as you don't use any
overlays, you should now be able to switch your pkgconfig
implementation to pkgconf[pkg-config] or pkg-config-lite with no
problems.

Same USE="pkg-config" is now available in dev-util/pkgconfig-openbsd if
anyone is intrested in perl based version

It won't get KEYWORDS anytime soon, but I'm happily accepting patches
that are forwarded to OpenBSD bug tracking system too

Please give them (mainly pkgconf) a try and see if everything works.