Old 04-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Diego Elio Pettenò

Default Changing default serial-console definition in inittab

Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
(commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.

The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
far as I can tell).

Of the two systems I've configured Â*– a SuperMicro server which is the
new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
still allows utf8).

Comments?

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flameeyes@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

Old 04-27-2012, 05:45 PM
Greg KH

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:29:54AM -0700, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
> access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
> it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
> (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
>
> The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
> emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
> and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Of the two systems I've configured Â*– a SuperMicro server which is the
> new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
> configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
> VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
> still allows utf8).
>
> Comments?

Makes sense to me, nice idea.

greg k-h

Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 PM
Raúl Porcel

On 04/27/2012 07:29 PM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
> access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
> it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
> (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
>
> The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
> emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
> and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Of the two systems I've configured Â*– a SuperMicro server which is the
> new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
> configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
> VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
> still allows utf8).
>
> Comments?

I wouldn't mind for amd64/x86.

There haven't been any new alpha/hppa systems in years, and the default
for them was 9600. All the cheap(and therefore common) sparc hardware
uses 9600 as we're talking about systems 10 years old. On ia64, from
what i've had access to in the last years, it used 9600 as well.
m68k/s390/sh are very exotic arches and 9600 is a safe default.

I'm providing this info as member of the teams of those architectures
i've mentioned(except hppa). I have no clue about mips or ppc* systems.

On the other hand, maybe it could be changed on arm to 115200, as all
the devices i have use that speed. Although some use a non-standard
serial port(ttyO{0,2} for OMAP devices, ttymxc0 for FSL i.mx devices).

Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Christian Ruppert

On 04/27/12 at 10:29AM -0700, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
> access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
> it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
> (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
>
> The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
> emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
> and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Of the two systems I've configured Â*– a SuperMicro server which is the
> new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
> configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
> VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
> still allows utf8).
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
> flameeyes@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

+1 on the 115200 baud but I'm not sure about the VT-UTF8 even though I'd prefer
it too.

Christian Ruppert
Gentoo Linux developer, Bugzilla administrator and Infrastructure member
Fingerprint: EEB1 C341 7C84 B274 6C59 F243 5EAB 0C62 B427 ABC8

Old 04-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Christian Ruppert

Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 AM
Patrick Lauer

On 04/28/12 01:29, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
> access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
> it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
> (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
>
> The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
> emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
> and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
> far as I can tell).
>
> Of the two systems I've configured Â*– a SuperMicro server which is the
> new tinderbox host, and an HP for work – both have the default IPMI
> configuration for Serial-over-LAN set at 115200, and the HP also had
> VT-UTF8 by default for emulation (SuperMicro defaulted to vt100 but
> still allows utf8).
>
> Comments?

Leave the old defaults, add an example with the new options?

Since serial consoles are not default the user will have to consciously
enable them anyway, so there are no "defaults"

Have fun,

Patrick

Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM
Markos Chandras

Old 04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Tobias Klausmann

Hi!

On Fri, 27 Apr 2012, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
> emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
> and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
> far as I can tell).

Also note that some embedded systems (Alix, for example) are not
capable of 115200 baud, but top out at 38400 (which is already
far better than 9600).

Regards,
Tobias

--
printk(KERN_ERR "happy meal: Transceiver BigMac ATTACK!");
linux-2.6.19/drivers/net/sunhme.c

Old 04-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Friday 27 April 2012 13:29:54 Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Since I've been configuring a couple of systems lately for remote
> access, which include configuring the serial console, I'm wondering if
> it would be a good idea to change our inittab so that the default
> (commented out) definition of the serial consoles is a bit more.. modern.
>
> The current definition sets the console at 9600 baud, using vt100
> emulation; I think most of us who configure it, do so at 115200 baud,
> and some prefer vt-utf8 over vt100 (the two are partially compatible as
> far as I can tell).

vt-utf8 isn't installed into /etc/terminfo/ currently, so we'd have to fix
that. then i could make the default based on USE=unicode.

as for the generic ttyS0/ttyS1 defaults, 115200 is just as easy as 9600 to
change, so np updating that. for all the system-specific configs though (we
have a bunch of arch/system ones), i'd prefer to leave those alone as they
tend to be tailored to common board-specific behavior.
-mike