Old 04-27-2012, 09:32 AM
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Default New license: yEd Software License Agreement

Hi,

I'd like to add attached license to portage/licenses/. Any objections?

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Amadeusz Żołnowski

This license would go to EULA group. Is this correct?

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Old 04-27-2012, 01:38 PM
Duncan

Amadeusz Żołnowski posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:30:32 +0200 as excerpted:

> This license would go to EULA group. Is this correct?

That appears to be correct to me, yes.

No distribution allowed. You're going to be doing restrict=mirror,
correct?

Old 04-27-2012, 01:45 PM
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Excerpts from Duncan's message of 2012-04-27 15:38:20 +0200:
> No distribution allowed. You're going to be doing restrict=mirror,
> correct?

Why RESTRICT=mirror? I'd put RESTRICT=fetch, actually.

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Old 04-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Duncan

Amadeusz Żołnowski posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:45:36 +0200 as excerpted:

> Excerpts from Duncan's message of 2012-04-27 15:38:20 +0200:
>> No distribution allowed. You're going to be doing restrict=mirror,
>> correct?
>
> Why RESTRICT=mirror? I'd put RESTRICT=fetch, actually.

That works. RESTRICT=fetch is stricter so works, but I'm not sure
whether it's necessary as I've not paid attention to the legal
distinctions since both are out of the question here, but certainly,
gentoo can't distribute, so restrict=mirror for sure. Whether it merits
restrict=fetch or not I'll let someone else worry about.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Rich Freeman

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 9:45 AM, Amadeusz Żołnowski <aidecoe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Duncan's message of 2012-04-27 15:38:20 +0200:
>> No distribution allowed. *You're going to be doing restrict=mirror,
>> correct?
>
> Why RESTRICT=mirror? I'd put RESTRICT=fetch, actually.

I don't see much point in using RESTRICT=fetch unless there is no URL
available to fetch. I think RESTRICT=mirror should be sufficient in
most cases to cover situations where we are not allowed to
redistribute, and is consistent with what we do across the tree.

Consistency is very important where there are legal concerns.
Otherwise our actions with one ebuild will be used to argue that our
actions on another ebuild are wrong.

Rich

Old 04-27-2012, 02:34 PM
William Hubbs

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 02:26:07PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> Amadeusz Żołnowski posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:45:36 +0200 as excerpted:
>
> > Excerpts from Duncan's message of 2012-04-27 15:38:20 +0200:
> >> No distribution allowed. You're going to be doing restrict=mirror,
> >> correct?
> >
> > Why RESTRICT=mirror? I'd put RESTRICT=fetch, actually.
>
> That works. RESTRICT=fetch is stricter so works, but I'm not sure
> whether it's necessary as I've not paid attention to the legal
> distinctions since both are out of the question here, but certainly,
> gentoo can't distribute, so restrict=mirror for sure. Whether it merits
> restrict=fetch or not I'll let someone else worry about.

Definitely you should use restrict=mirror.

Restrict=fetch is used when a user has to go to a web site and register
or accept a license on the web site before they download the file the
way I understand it.

William

Old 04-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Duncan

William Hubbs posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 09:34:05 -0500 as excerpted:

> Restrict=fetch is used when a user has to go to a web site and register
> or accept a license on the web site before they download the file the
> way I understand it.

Thanks. I thought restrict=fetch was for when a website acceptance was
required, but upon being pressed, I realized I wasn't sure enough about
it to be comfortable trying to explain it.

Tho FWIW I think restrict=fetch applies to stuff like cd/dvd-based game
data as well, where the agreement is on the cd not a website, but still
requires specific click-thru. IOW, manual click-thru and fetch,
regardless of whether it's from local device, or from the net. If we're
just forbidden from distributing but can still script an auto-fetch (they
just want to be sure they control distribution, mainly), then it's
restrict=mirror. If we can't script an auto-fetch either, generally due
to direct click-thru agreement required, it's restrict=fetch.

My definitely non-professional legal understanding, of course.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM
Rich Freeman

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Tho FWIW I think restrict=fetch applies to stuff like cd/dvd-based game
> data as well, where the agreement is on the cd not a website, but still
> requires specific click-thru.

I think the real determiner should almost always be whether there is a
URL that you can reliably fetch or not.

If you're talking about a CD there is nothing to fetch. If you want
somebody to copy a file off of a CD and stick it in distfiles then
RESTRICT=fetch makes perfect sense, but it has nothing to do with
licensing, but the fact that no consistent URL exists.

Legally the basic issue is whether linking to something is the same as
distributing it. I'm open to a lawyer's summary, but my sense is that
the case law around this is very messy, especially on an international
scale.

Rich

Old 04-27-2012, 03:33 PM
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Excerpts from William Hubbs's message of 2012-04-27 16:34:05 +0200:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 02:26:07PM +0000, Duncan wrote:
> > Amadeusz Żołnowski posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2012 15:45:36 +0200 as
> > excerpted:
> >
> > > Excerpts from Duncan's message of 2012-04-27 15:38:20 +0200:
> > >
> > > Why RESTRICT=mirror? I'd put RESTRICT=fetch, actually.
> >
> > That works. RESTRICT=fetch is stricter so works, but I'm not sure
> > whether it's necessary as I've not paid attention to the legal
> > distinctions since both are out of the question here, but certainly,
> > gentoo can't distribute, so restrict=mirror for sure. Whether it
> > merits restrict=fetch or not I'll let someone else worry about.
>
> Definitely you should use restrict=mirror.
>
> Restrict=fetch is used when a user has to go to a web site and
> register or accept a license on the web site before they download the
> file the way I understand it.

And this is probably the case when user has to accept a license on the
website. This is URL for zip archive of yEd-3.9.1:

http://www.yworks.com/en/products_download.php?file=yEd-3.9.1.zip

It directs to website with license text, check-box for accept and
download button. If check-box is not set, following message is shown:

"In order to download yEd, it is necessary that you first accept the
license terms."

If check-box is set, client is redirected to the page with actual link to
zip archive.

Moreover, I have had email conversation with yWorks representative and
he says that installation files need to be obtained manually by the end
users from their website.

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski