Old 04-24-2012, 02:37 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default Proposal to move use.local.desc somewhere in /var

On Tuesday 24 April 2012 10:11:44 Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> Since .cvsignore is needed either way, I'm going to do it in three
> days if there are no objections. But I'd like some feedback for the
> move of the file in /var. Opinions?

considering the server generates it and the end user never does, i don't see
the point. they get it via the normal `emerge --sync` process.
-mike

Old 04-24-2012, 02:45 PM
Michał Górny

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:37:31 -0400
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday 24 April 2012 10:11:44 Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> > Since .cvsignore is needed either way, I'm going to do it in three
> > days if there are no objections. But I'd like some feedback for the
> > move of the file in /var. Opinions?
>
> considering the server generates it and the end user never does, i
> don't see the point. they get it via the normal `emerge --sync`
> process. -mike

Maybe we should consider moving it to metadata/?

On the other hand, moving it will require fixing all tools using it.
And as it is already deprecated, I don't see much good in still working
on it.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 04-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Brian Dolbec

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 16:45 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:37:31 -0400
> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday 24 April 2012 10:11:44 Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> > > Since .cvsignore is needed either way, I'm going to do it in three
> > > days if there are no objections. But I'd like some feedback for the
> > > move of the file in /var. Opinions?
> >
> > considering the server generates it and the end user never does, i
> > don't see the point. they get it via the normal `emerge --sync`
> > process. -mike
>
> Maybe we should consider moving it to metadata/?
>
> On the other hand, moving it will require fixing all tools using it.
> And as it is already deprecated, I don't see much good in still working
> on it.

I agree, a sudden move (3 days) will cause nuisance breakage. If
anything, lets firm up the schedule for it's removal, so that all tools
can be updated to use cat/pkg/metadata.xml only for local flags.

Otherwise there will be a lot of user noise generated over broken tools
such as several gentoolkit utilities, porthole, kuroo, kportagetray,...
--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org>

Old 04-24-2012, 03:06 PM
Theo Chatzimichos

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 16:45 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:37:31 -0400
>> Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

>> > considering the server generates it and the end user never does, i
>> > don't see the point. *they get it via the normal `emerge --sync`
>> > process. -mike
>>
>> Maybe we should consider moving it to metadata/?
>>
>> On the other hand, moving it will require fixing all tools using it.
>> And as it is already deprecated, I don't see much good in still working
>> on it.
>>

> I agree, a sudden move (3 days) will cause nuisance breakage. *If
> anything, lets firm up the schedule for it's removal, so that all tools
> can be updated to use cat/pkg/metadata.xml only for local flags.
>
> Otherwise there will be a lot of user noise generated over broken tools
> such as several gentoolkit utilities, porthole, kuroo, kportagetray,...
> --
> Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org>

I said three days for the .cvsignore, not for moving the file to /var

Old 04-24-2012, 04:21 PM
"Robin H. Johnson"

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 04:11:44PM +0200, Theo Chatzimichos wrote:
> log from #gentoo-portage:
> <tampakrap> zmedico: (random idea) would it make sence to generate
> local.use.desc in /var/cache, or somewhere in /var, but out of the
> tree?
Why are we keeping it? I move that we remove it. It's been replaced by
USE flags in metadata.xml for several years now.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
E-Mail : robbat2@gentoo.org