Old 04-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Theo Chatzimichos

Default Proposal to move use.local.desc somewhere in /var

Ahoj,

log from #gentoo-portage:
<tampakrap> zmedico: (random idea) would it make sence to generate
local.use.desc in /var/cache, or somewhere in /var, but out of the
tree?
<tampakrap> because now cvs sees it as unknown file, which prints out
warning in update and collision in commit
<tampakrap> (commit in profile/ )
<zmedico> tampakrap: how about if we just add it to .cvsignore?
<tampakrap> of course that would solve the issue with the
errors/warnings, but I still believe that somewhere is /var is the
appropriate place for it instead of inside the repo
<zmedico> tampakrap: portage doesn't even use this file, so better to
ask gentoolkit/equery people
<tampakrap> yeah I know
<tampakrap> I'll send a mail to -dev instead, and will push myself
hard to handle the migration (if it gets approved by the dev
community)
<zmedico> if it goes outside the repo, it's probably going in /var/cache/edb
<zmedico> and organized by repo, like /var/cache/edb/dep is
<zmedico> seems a lot cleaner to keep it in the repo

Since .cvsignore is needed either way, I'm going to do it in three
days if there are no objections. But I'd like some feedback for the
move of the file in /var. Opinions?