Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 PM
Sebastian Luther

Default RFC: A tiny news item for migrating to libjpeg-turbo

Am 23.04.2012 19:49, schrieb Pacho Ramos:
> El lun, 23-04-2012 a las 10:17 -0400, Mike Gilbert escribió:
>> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>
>> wrote:
>>> Samuli Suominen posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2012 14:22:53 +0300 as
>>> excerpted:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> That of course leaves the system without a jpeg library between
>>> the jpeg unmerge and the completion of the libjpeg-turbo merge.
>>> If the build process fails for some reason...
>>>
>>> There's no way to use portage's automatic block-resolving
>>> ability here to avoid that, I take it?
>>>

>> This works for me.
>>
>> floppym@naomi ~ % emerge -pv1 -j1 libjpeg-turbo
>>
>> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>>
>> Calculating dependencies... done! [ebuild N ]
>> media-libs/libjpeg-turbo-1.2.0-r1 USE="-java -static-libs" 0 kB
>> [uninstall ] media-libs/jpeg-8d USE="-static-libs" [blocks b
>> ] media-libs/jpeg:0 ("media-libs/jpeg:0" is blocking
>> media-libs/libjpeg-turbo-1.2.0-r1)
>>

> I guess it will work when jpeg is not in world file... maybe
> people should be told to drop it and, then, let emerge do all the
> work automatically.

There is:

# emerge --deselect media-libs/jpeg

The problem is that this would also remove things like
media-libs/jpeg:62 from the world file.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Zac Medico

wrote:

[...]

If it removes media-libs/jpeg:62, then it will say so, and they can just
add it back if that's what they really want. There's probably zero or a
negligible number of people that would have media-libs/jpeg:62 and
really want it there, so in practice we can pretend that they don't exist.

--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 04-23-2012, 07:19 PM
"Walter Dnes"

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 02:22:53PM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote

> All users are recommended to migrate:
>
> # emerge -C media-libs/jpeg:0
> # emerge -1 media-libs/libjpeg-turbo

How about mentioning revdep-rebuild in the instructions?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>

Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Monday 23 April 2012 15:19:31 Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 02:22:53PM +0300, Samuli Suominen wrote
>
> > All users are recommended to migrate:
> >
> > # emerge -C media-libs/jpeg:0
> > # emerge -1 media-libs/libjpeg-turbo
>
> How about mentioning revdep-rebuild in the instructions?

no need as they should be ABI forward compatible (if you consider turbo to be
the superset)
-mike

Old 04-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Duncan

Zac Medico posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2012 10:55:20 -0700 as excerpted:

> On 04/23/2012 10:49 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:

> This will do the trick:
>
> emerge --deselect media-libs/jpeg
> emerge --oneshot media-libs/libjpeg-turbo

That's exactly the sort of solution I was hoping for. Thanks.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Samuli Suominen

[...]

Thank you. News item committed and used your (above) advise.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:24 PM
Samuli Suominen