Old 04-18-2012, 02:03 PM
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Default plymouth maintainer-needed

Hi,

I no longer use plymouth and have no more will to work on it, but
because I believe many users use this package it would be good if
somebody take maintainership of it. There's only one serious bug opened
at this time and there's no much work with this package. I have also
written some howto for users:

http://dev.gentoo.org/~aidecoe/doc/en/plymouth.xml

(Append .src to get the source.) You can move it anywhere you want.

Plymouth has plugin I have written for OpenRC (see its openrc use flag)
which is more proof-of-concept rather something to be used really
seriously, therefore best would be to drop this plugin and support only
systemd which is supported by upstream ootb.

I'm happy to answer any question and help at the beginning with
maintaining it.

Cheers,

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Old 04-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Alex Legler

On Wednesday 18 April 2012 16:03:09 Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I no longer use plymouth and have no more will to work on it, but
> because I believe many users use this package it would be good if
> somebody take maintainership of it.

I'll take it for now. Co-maintainers welcome.

> There's only one serious bug opened
> at this time and there's no much work with this package. I have also
> written some howto for users:
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~aidecoe/doc/en/plymouth.xml
>
> (Append .src to get the source.) You can move it anywhere you want.

I guess this should go to the wiki.

> Plymouth has plugin I have written for OpenRC (see its openrc use flag)
> which is more proof-of-concept rather something to be used really
> seriously, therefore best would be to drop this plugin and support only
> systemd which is supported by upstream ootb.

Works fine for me, so there's no point in dropping it in fear of systemd.

--
Alex Legler <a3li@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Security/Ruby/Infrastructure

Old 04-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Excerpts from Alex Legler's message of 2012-04-18 16:49:57 +0200:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2012 16:03:09 Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
> > I no longer use plymouth and have no more will to work on it, but
> > because I believe many users use this package it would be good if
> > somebody take maintainership of it.
>
> I'll take it for now. Co-maintainers welcome.

Thank you!

> > There's only one serious bug opened at this time and there's no much
> > work with this package. I have also written some howto for users:
> >
> > http://dev.gentoo.org/~aidecoe/doc/en/plymouth.xml
> >
> > (Append .src to get the source.) You can move it anywhere you want.
>
> I guess this should go to the wiki.

I was asked in the past to move howto from wiki to some more reliable
place, because wiki used to be offline quite often. Has this been
changed? If you move it, please just know me the address so I can
redirect users from the old one.

> > Plymouth has plugin I have written for OpenRC (see its openrc use
> > flag) which is more proof-of-concept rather something to be used
> > really seriously, therefore best would be to drop this plugin and
> > support only systemd which is supported by upstream ootb.
>
> Works fine for me, so there's no point in dropping it in fear of
> systemd.

Hm… nice. :-)

--
Amadeusz Żołnowski

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 PM
Alex Legler

On Wednesday 18 April 2012 17:01:28 Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
> > I guess this should go to the wiki.
>
> I was asked in the past to move howto from wiki to some more reliable
> place, because wiki used to be offline quite often. Has this been
> changed? If you move it, please just know me the address so I can
> redirect users from the old one.

I didn't mean the community wiki, but our own one (wiki.gentoo.org).

Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 AM
Maxim Kammerer

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 17:49, Alex Legler <a3li@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 April 2012 16:03:09 Amadeusz Żołnowski wrote:
>> Plymouth has plugin I have written for OpenRC (see its openrc use flag)
>> which is more proof-of-concept rather something to be used really
>> seriously, therefore best would be to drop this plugin and support only
>> systemd which is supported by upstream ootb.
>
> Works fine for me, so there's no point in dropping it in fear of systemd.

FWIW, I tried using Plymouth in Liberté Linux (starting it from init.d
and not earlier in initramfs, though), and it was unusable — too buggy
and unreliable with state transitions, unusable console, bad behavior
when framebuffer is unavailable, etc. I didn't bother opening bugs,
since a major part of that behavior was likely due to the
proof-of-concept OpenRC, and other parts like unusable console were
actually documented problems.

--
Maxim Kammerer
Liberté Linux (discussion / support: http://dee.su/liberte-contribute)