Old 04-16-2012, 08:22 AM
Samuli Suominen

Default USE=gui?

On 04/16/2012 11:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:12:16 +0200
""Paweł Hajdan, Jr.""<phajdan.jr@gentoo.org> wrote:

On 4/10/12 8:58 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:

Other option would be to enable "wxwidgets" by default for that
profiles.

I prefer this. Changing USE flag meaning in a counter-intuitive way
(to let "gtk" mean "wxwidgets") would seem frustrating to me.

With "wxwidgets" enabled by default people will get the most likely
desired result (i.e. GUI) "out of the box", and setting
USE="-wxwidgets" will have desired effect.

Note that with USE="gtk" really meaning USE="wxwidgets", -wxwidgets
would have no effect on such a package, which is the potentially
surprising behavior I mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, we should ask ourselves whether the USE flags are
very intuitive right now.

Say, we have USE=ssl which enables SSL support. We already agreed
that's the correct meaning of it, and USE=gnutls,openssl,nss are just
to be used when there's more than one implementation to choose from.

USE=ssl is also meaning OpenSSL and there should be no USE=openssl

Shouldn't we have USE=gui in a similar fashion? Most of the devs
probably prefer the way 'I want GUI only if it's using my favorite
toolkit'. But users OTOH may prefer saying 'I want GUI in this app, no
matter what it uses'.

This would probably handle the wxwidgets case most correct, having it
under USE=gui or similar.

-1, this would only add inconsistency / complexity to tree with packages
having multiple graphical toolkits to pick from

should be kept the way it is

- Samuli

Old 04-16-2012, 02:49 PM
Alexis Ballier

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:22:22 +0300
Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 04/16/2012 11:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:12:16 +0200

> >> I prefer this. Changing USE flag meaning in a counter-intuitive way
> >> (to let "gtk" mean "wxwidgets") would seem frustrating to me.
> >>
> >> With "wxwidgets" enabled by default people will get the most likely
> >> desired result (i.e. GUI) "out of the box", and setting
> >> USE="-wxwidgets" will have desired effect.
> >>
> >> Note that with USE="gtk" really meaning USE="wxwidgets", -wxwidgets
> >> would have no effect on such a package, which is the potentially
> >> surprising behavior I mentioned earlier.
> >
> > On the other hand, we should ask ourselves whether the USE flags are
> > very intuitive right now.
> >
> > Say, we have USE=ssl which enables SSL support. We already agreed
> > that's the correct meaning of it, and USE=gnutls,openssl,nss are
> > just to be used when there's more than one implementation to choose
> > from.
>
> USE=ssl is also meaning OpenSSL and there should be no USE=openssl
> >
> > Shouldn't we have USE=gui in a similar fashion? Most of the devs
> > probably prefer the way 'I want GUI only if it's using my favorite
> > toolkit'. But users OTOH may prefer saying 'I want GUI in this app,
> > no matter what it uses'.
> >
> > This would probably handle the wxwidgets case most correct, having
> > it under USE=gui or similar.
> >

> -1, this would only add inconsistency / complexity to tree with
> packages having multiple graphical toolkits to pick from
>
> should be kept the way it is

or maybe adding useflag properties in a future eapi, or meta
useflags abusing REQUIRED_USE:

gui? ( || ( wxwidgets gtk fltk ) )

and then the PM could support 'I want GUI in this app, no matter what it
uses' by automatically adding the first pick to package.use

not sure if its desirable though

Old 04-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Michał Górny

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:22:22 +0300
Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 04/16/2012 11:11 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 09:12:16 +0200

> >> I prefer this. Changing USE flag meaning in a counter-intuitive way
> >> (to let "gtk" mean "wxwidgets") would seem frustrating to me.
> >>
> >> With "wxwidgets" enabled by default people will get the most likely
> >> desired result (i.e. GUI) "out of the box", and setting
> >> USE="-wxwidgets" will have desired effect.
> >>
> >> Note that with USE="gtk" really meaning USE="wxwidgets", -wxwidgets
> >> would have no effect on such a package, which is the potentially
> >> surprising behavior I mentioned earlier.
> >
> > On the other hand, we should ask ourselves whether the USE flags are
> > very intuitive right now.
> >
> > Say, we have USE=ssl which enables SSL support. We already agreed
> > that's the correct meaning of it, and USE=gnutls,openssl,nss are
> > just to be used when there's more than one implementation to choose
> > from.
>
> USE=ssl is also meaning OpenSSL and there should be no USE=openssl

There could be one if an ebuild wishes to use non-openssl impl by
default but allows user to force openssl.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny