FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 03-30-2012, 02:44 PM
James Broadhead
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On 30 March 2012 14:25, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 04:00 PM, Axel wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I would like to wish you all a happy birthday, 10 years already since
>> first release (Gentoo 1.0)! Here is a little thing [1] we made to
>> celebrate it. Recipe: two layers of Génoise (for each: 6 eggs, 180g
>> sucre, 180g farine, vanilla sugar), between layers and on top: full
>> cream with beaten eggs and caramel. Add between the middle layers on
>> top of the cream: raspberry. ENJOY
>>
>> [1]: http://imgur.com/iMjLi
> Back to year 2009?
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/news/20091004-gentoo-10-years.xml

Even though we already celebrated it, maybe 10-years-since-1.0 is a
better event to celebrate.

Remember when Gentoo had version numbers? (even though they got stuck
at 1.4 for ages?) D'awww
 
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Joshua Kinard
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On 03/30/2012 10:44, James Broadhead wrote:

>
> Remember when Gentoo had version numbers? (even though they got stuck
> at 1.4 for ages?) D'awww


Maybe it's time for Gentoo-2.0?

At that glacial pace, we should catch up to Firefox's versioning shortly
before the heat death of the Universe.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS
kumba@gentoo.org
4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
 
Old 03-30-2012, 09:55 PM
Richard Yao
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On 03/30/12 17:15, Joshua Kinard wrote:
> Maybe it's time for Gentoo-2.0?

I think we should wait for Portage 2.2 to be stabilized before we
declare Gentoo 2.0. @preserved-libs is enough of an advance that I think
claiming 2.0 would be merited, if only for the attention it would draw
at Phoronix.
 
Old 03-30-2012, 10:12 PM
Matt Turner
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Richard Yao <ryao@cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:
> On 03/30/12 17:15, Joshua Kinard wrote:
>> Maybe it's time for Gentoo-2.0?
>
> I think we should wait for Portage 2.2 to be stabilized before we
> declare Gentoo 2.0. @preserved-libs is enough of an advance that I think
> claiming 2.0 would be merited, if only for the attention it would draw
> at Phoronix.

We don't want that kind of attention.
 
Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Ciaran McCreesh
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:55:27 -0400
Richard Yao <ryao@cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:
> I think we should wait for Portage 2.2 to be stabilized before we
> declare Gentoo 2.0. @preserved-libs is enough of an advance that I
> think claiming 2.0 would be merited, if only for the attention it
> would draw at Phoronix.

Do you really want to be advertising an awful hack that doesn't really
work, is conceptually unsound and that breaks all kinds of things in
subtle ways?

--
Ciaran McCreesh
 
Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Sven Vermeulen
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 08:56:22AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> Do you really want to be advertising an awful hack that doesn't really
> work, is conceptually unsound and that breaks all kinds of things in
> subtle ways?

Isn't that something all major distributions do? ;-)

Sven
 
Old 03-31-2012, 09:44 AM
Alex Alexander
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On Mar 31, 2012 11:00 AM, "Ciaran McCreesh" <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:

>

> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 17:55:27 -0400

> Richard Yao <ryao@cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:

> > I think we should wait for Portage 2.2 to be stabilized before we

> > declare Gentoo 2.0. @preserved-libs is enough of an advance that I

> > think claiming 2.0 would be merited, if only for the attention it

> > would draw at Phoronix.

>

> Do you really want to be advertising an awful hack that doesn't really

> work, is conceptually unsound and that breaks all kinds of things in

> subtle ways?

>

> --

> Ciaran McCreesh


@preserved-libs works very well and is awesome. hack or not. IMO it should be in stable already. I've been using it on stable production boxes for years without any issues


Alex | wired
 
Old 03-31-2012, 09:52 AM
Ciaran McCreesh
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:44:03 +0300
Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@gmail.com> wrote:
> @preserved-libs works very well and is awesome. hack or not. IMO it
> should be in stable already. I've been using it on stable production
> boxes for years without any issues

...and here we see the problem. You think that "I haven't noticed it
break" means "it works".

The problem with preserved-libs (and emerge --jobs, for that matter) is
that the design is "I can think of a few ways where it might break, so
I'll hard-code in special cases to handle those, but in general I
can't think of what other problems there are so it's fine". That's a
bad way of doing things.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
 
Old 03-31-2012, 10:06 AM
Brian Harring
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 10:52:53AM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:44:03 +0300
> Alex Alexander <alex.alexander@gmail.com> wrote:
> > @preserved-libs works very well and is awesome. hack or not. IMO it
> > should be in stable already. I've been using it on stable production
> > boxes for years without any issues
>
> ...and here we see the problem. You think that "I haven't noticed it
> break" means "it works".
>
> The problem with preserved-libs (and emerge --jobs, for that matter) is
> that the design is "I can think of a few ways where it might break, so
> I'll hard-code in special cases to handle those, but in general I
> can't think of what other problems there are so it's fine". That's a
> bad way of doing things.

Then don't use it. Reality is, gentoo does.

If you don't like that fact, I suggest you stick to exherbo.

Related, why the hell are you still even around here?

You literally send more mail to our dev ml then to exherbos.

I wouldn't care if it weren't the fact your gentoo dev posts
generally consist of "xyz is stupid, as is the people behind it"
whether it be portage, udev, council, etc, take your pick.

~harring (being rather tired of the broken record).
 
Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Eleree
 
Default Happy 10th birthday (in advance)

cheer!

Axel <axel@james-b.ch> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I would like to wish you all a happy birthday, 10 years already since
>first release (Gentoo 1.0)! Here is a little thing [1] we made to
>celebrate it. Recipe: two layers of Génoise (for each: 6 eggs, 180g
>sucre, 180g farine, vanilla sugar), between layers and on top: full
>cream with beaten eggs and caramel. Add between the middle layers on
>top of the cream: raspberry. ENJOY
>
>[1]: http://imgur.com/iMjLi
>
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:34 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org