Old 03-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Tim Harder

Default New License: FreeBSD License

On 2012-03-28 Wed 17:31, Richard Yao wrote:
> > Gentoo/FreeBSD is currently using the BSD license, but it seems that
> > this is not the license used by the BSD project:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
> > In particular, the FreeBSD license removes the third clause and appends
> > "The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation
> > are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as representing
> > official policies, either expressed or implied, of the FreeBSD Project."
> > For comparison, here is a link to the BSD license in portage:
> > http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/BSD?view=markup
> > Does anyone have any objections to committing the FreeBSD license to
> > portage?

> As a small correction, I meant to say the FreeBSD project, not the BSD
> project.

Isn't this just a slightly modified version of the BSD-2 license in the
tree?

Tim

Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Richard Yao

On 03/28/12 21:28, Tim Harder wrote:
> On 2012-03-28 Wed 17:31, Richard Yao wrote:
>>> Gentoo/FreeBSD is currently using the BSD license, but it seems that
>>> this is not the license used by the BSD project:
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
>>> In particular, the FreeBSD license removes the third clause and appends
>>> "The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation
>>> are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as representing
>>> official policies, either expressed or implied, of the FreeBSD Project."
>>> For comparison, here is a link to the BSD license in portage:
>>> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/BSD?view=markup
>>> Does anyone have any objections to committing the FreeBSD license to
>>> portage?
>
>> As a small correction, I meant to say the FreeBSD project, not the BSD
>> project.
>
> Isn't this just a slightly modified version of the BSD-2 license in the
> tree?
>
> Tim

You are right. I spoke to ulm about this and the disclaimer can be
considered separate from the license. Gentoo/FreeBSD will need to switch
to BSD-2, but aside from that, there is no need for a new license.

Old 03-29-2012, 02:55 PM
Alexis Ballier

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:00:17 -0400
Richard Yao <ryao@cs.stonybrook.edu> wrote:

> You are right. I spoke to ulm about this and the disclaimer can be
> considered separate from the license. Gentoo/FreeBSD will need to
> switch to BSD-2, but aside from that, there is no need for a new
> license.

grep shows that a lot of files in freebsd source tree have a 3 clause
bsd; if you can identify files with a BSD-2 license, then you can
append it to the LICENSE field, but a switch is incorrect

A.