Old 03-29-2012, 12:27 AM
Richard Yao

Default New License: FreeBSD License

Gentoo/FreeBSD is currently using the BSD license, but it seems that
this is not the license used by the BSD project:

http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html

In particular, the FreeBSD license removes the third clause and appends
"The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation
are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as representing
official policies, either expressed or implied, of the FreeBSD Project."

For comparison, here is a link to the BSD license in portage:

http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/BSD?view=markup

Does anyone have any objections to committing the FreeBSD license to
portage?

Old 03-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Richard Yao

On 03/28/12 20:27, Richard Yao wrote:
> Gentoo/FreeBSD is currently using the BSD license, but it seems that
> this is not the license used by the BSD project:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/copyright/freebsd-license.html
>
> In particular, the FreeBSD license removes the third clause and appends
> "The views and conclusions contained in the software and documentation
> are those of the authors and should not be interpreted as representing
> official policies, either expressed or implied, of the FreeBSD Project."
>
> For comparison, here is a link to the BSD license in portage:
>
> http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/gentoo-x86/licenses/BSD?view=markup
>
> Does anyone have any objections to committing the FreeBSD license to
> portage?

As a small correction, I meant to say the FreeBSD project, not the BSD
project.