Old 03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
Pacho Ramos

Default Packages up for grabs due jokey retirement

Due his retirement the following packages need a new maintainer:
app-misc/ytree
app-portage/maintainer-helper
app-shells/pdmenu
dev-libs/libmba
dev-vcs/easygit
net-misc/italc
net-misc/proxytunnel
net-misc/x-lite (has a proxy maintainer!)
sys-fs/archfs

Thanks for taking them

Old 03-19-2012, 02:56 PM
Paul Varner

On 03/18/12 13:50, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Due his retirement the following packages need a new maintainer:
>
> app-portage/maintainer-helper
>

> Thanks for taking them

I've added app-portage/maintainer-helper to the tools-portage herd,
however, I've left it as maintainer-needed. So if anyone wants to take
it, feel free. The tools-portage herd will fix bugs for it as we find
the time.

Regards,
Paul

Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM
Pacho Ramos

El lun, 19-03-2012 a las 10:56 -0500, Paul Varner escribió:
> On 03/18/12 13:50, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > Due his retirement the following packages need a new maintainer:
> >
> > app-portage/maintainer-helper
> >

> > Thanks for taking them
>
> I've added app-portage/maintainer-helper to the tools-portage herd,
> however, I've left it as maintainer-needed. So if anyone wants to take
> it, feel free. The tools-portage herd will fix bugs for it as we find
> the time.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

I disagree with leaving maintainer-needed as default assign, if you will
fix bugs when you have time it's better than what I will do with
maintainer-needed packages.

Also, I think most of maintainers would like to have help with a lot of
packages, but that is not enough reason to change their metadatas to get
bugs assigned to maintainer-needed and us CCed

Have you seen any case when "if anyone wants to take it" he is not able
to because the package is "owned" by a herd?

If you want to promote that package be taken by other as soon as
possible, add a note to metadata telling that (I have seen it in some
cases)

Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 AM
Paul Varner

Due his retirement the following packages need a new maintainer:

app-portage/maintainer-helper

Thanks for taking them

I've added app-portage/maintainer-helper to the tools-portage herd,
however, I've left it as maintainer-needed. So if anyone wants to take
it, feel free. The tools-portage herd will fix bugs for it as we find
the time.

I disagree with leaving maintainer-needed as default assign, if you will
fix bugs when you have time it's better than what I will do with
maintainer-needed packages.

Okay, I've taken out the maintainer-needed as the maintainer and have
just left it assigned to the herd. However, in reading through
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=4, I
don't see a good mechanism to convey that the package is up for grabs,
but in the meantime go ahead and assign any bugs to the herd.

Regards,
Paul

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
Pacho Ramos

El lun, 19-03-2012 a las 22:41 -0500, Paul Varner escribió:
> On 3/19/12 2:26 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:

> >> I've added app-portage/maintainer-helper to the tools-portage herd,
> >> however, I've left it as maintainer-needed. So if anyone wants to take
> >> it, feel free. The tools-portage herd will fix bugs for it as we find
> >> the time.
> >
> > I disagree with leaving maintainer-needed as default assign, if you will
> > fix bugs when you have time it's better than what I will do with
> > maintainer-needed packages.
>
> Okay, I've taken out the maintainer-needed as the maintainer and have
> just left it assigned to the herd. However, in reading through
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=2&chap=4, I
> don't see a good mechanism to convey that the package is up for grabs,
> but in the meantime go ahead and assign any bugs to the herd.
>
> Regards,
> Paul

Yeah, a mechanism for indicating a package is up for grabs would be
interesting, the problem is how to prevent people from tagging as so a
lot of packages and, then, making that mechanism completely useless as
wouldn't distinct between "real" up for grabs packages or not "as
real"

But thanks a lot for taking care