-   -   Undocumented and unused USE variables (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/645297-undocumented-unused-use-variables.html)

Christoph Niethammer 03-16-2012 11:05 AM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

Hello.

Currently I am doing a from scratch installation of gentoo.

While setting up my USE flags I noticed, that some default USE flags in the
default environment (default/linux/amd64/10.0/desktop/kde) are neither
documented (in /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc) nor used in IUSE by any package
(amd64).

I am wondering if they are a leftover from older/outdated packages and could
be removed.

Here is the list of USE flags I identified at my system:

* Undocumented use flags:
----------
amd64
consolekit
declarative
gdu
kipi
mudflap
nptlonly
pango
phonon
pppd
qt3support
sysfs
xorg

* Unused and undocumented USE flags:
----------
amd64
mudflap
sysfs

For those who want to search on their system I attached two scripts:
* find_undocumented_uses.sh :
searches for use flags which are active but not documenten in
/usr/portage/profiles/use.desc.
* find_unused_uses.sh :
Checks for given USE flags if they are found in any ebuild's IUSE statment

"Jory A. Pratt" 03-16-2012 11:12 AM

On 03/16/2012 07:05 AM, Christoph Niethammer wrote:

> * Unused and undocumented USE flags:
> ----------
> amd64
> mudflap
> sysfs

amd64 is never documented, it is defined by arch being built for,
mudflap is used by gcc, sysfs I believe is a dead useflag. Maybe someone
else can comment on it.

Jory

René Neumann 03-16-2012 11:30 AM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

> * Undocumented use flags:
> ----------
> pango

% euse -i pango
global use flags (searching: pango)
no matching entries found

local use flags (searching: pango)
[+ D ] pango
app-i18n/fcitx: Enable support for x11-libs/pango
3.6.3 [gentoo]
3.6.4 [gentoo]
[+ ] 4.0.0 [gentoo]
[+ ] 4.0.1 [gentoo]
[+ ] 4.2.0-r2 [gentoo]
[+ ] 4.2.1 [gentoo]

[+ D ] pango
media-gfx/fontforge: Enable pango font rendering
[+ ] 20100501 [gentoo]
[+ ] 20110222 [gentoo]
[+ ] 20110222-r1 [gentoo]

[+ D ] pango
media-gfx/imagemagick: Enable Pango support using x11-libs/pango

[...]

Christoph Niethammer 03-16-2012 11:49 AM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

Hello.

I see. There is more documentation on a per package bases wich has to be considered, too. (Found already the metadata.xml files.)

As with the pango USE they may differe in their description - maybe also in their meaning for different packages. So local USE flags should only be used on a per package basis!

Here the euse command is realy handy. :-)
However the sysfs USE flag is still hiding its documentation.
So lets see if this is a bug or a feature. ;-)

Thx for the clarification so far.

Best regards
Christoph

Kent Fredric 03-16-2012 12:01 PM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

On 17 March 2012 01:05, Christoph Niethammer
<christoph.niethammer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello.

quse -D amd64 consolekit declarative gdu kipi mudflap nptlonly pango
phonon pppd qt3support sysfs xorg

arch:amd64: amd64 architecture

local:consolekit:app-emulation/spice-vdagent: Use sys-auth/consolekit
to determine the master vdagentd in case of multiple running vdagentds
(highly recommended)
local:consolekit:gnome-base/gdm: Allow proper handling of removable
media according to who is actually present on the machine.
local:consolekit:kde-base/kdm: Enables support for authorization
using consolekit
local:consolekit:kde-misc/networkmanagement: Enable support for
sys-auth/consolekit
local:consolekit:lxde-base/lxdm: Enables support for authorization
using consolekit
local:consolekit:net-wireless/bluez: Use sys-auth/pambase[consolekit]
to determine access to bluetooth devices based on whether a user is
logged in locally or remotely
local:consolekit:sys-auth/pambase: Enable pam_ck_connector module on
local system logins. This allows for console logins to make use of
ConsoleKit authorization.
local:consolekit:x11-apps/xdm: Enable native sys-auth/consolekit support
local:consolekit:x11-misc/slim: Enable native consolekit support
local:consolekit:xfce-base/xfce4-session: Enable authentication
support using sys-auth/consolekit

local:declarative:dev-python/PyQt4: Build QtDeclarative module
local:declarative:dev-python/pyside: Build QtDeclarative module
local:declarative:kde-base/kdebindings-perl: Compile bindings for
x11-libs/qt-declarative.
local:declarative:kde-base/kdebindings-ruby: Compile bindings for
x11-libs/qt-declarative.
local:declarative:kde-base/perlqt: Compile bindings for
x11-libs/qt-declarative.
local:declarative:kde-base/qtruby: Compile bindings for
x11-libs/qt-declarative.
local:declarative:kde-base/smoke: Compile bindings for x11-libs/qt-declarative.
local:declarative:kde-base/smokeqt: Compile bindings for
x11-libs/qt-declarative.

local:gdu:gnome-base/gvfs: Enable sys-apps/gnome-disk-utility integration

local:kipi:kde-base/gwenview: Support for the KDE Image Plugin Interface.
local:kipi:kde-base/ksnapshot: Support for the KDE Image Plugin Interface.
local:kipi:media-gfx/kphotoalbum: Support for the KDE Image Plugin Interface

local:mudflap:dev-embedded/msp430-gcc: Add support for mudflap, a
pointer use checking library
local:mudflap:sys-devel/gcc: Add support for mudflap, a pointer use
checking library

local:pango:app-i18n/fcitx: Enable support for x11-libs/pango
local:pango:media-gfx/fontforge: Enable pango font rendering
local:pango:media-gfx/imagemagick: Enable Pango support using x11-libs/pango
local:pango:media-libs/cogl: Build cogl-pango library for
x11-libs/pango integration
local:pango:media-libs/silgraphite: Enables the pango-graphite pango module.
local:pango:media-sound/abcm2ps: Use the pango library to render
fonts with non-latin characters
local:pango:sys-boot/plymouth: Adds support for printing text on
splash screen and text prompts, e.g. for password
local:pango:x11-libs/libaosd: Enable the textual helpers (requires pangocairo).
local:pango:x11-libs/libmatchbox: Enable x11-libs/pango support
local:pango:x11-wm/enlightenment: Enable pango font rendering
local:pango:x11-wm/sawfish: Enable pango support

local:phonon:dev-python/PyQt4: Build phonon module
local:phonon:dev-python/pyside: Build phonon module
local:phonon:kde-base/kdebindings-csharp: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/kdebindings-perl: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/kdebindings-ruby: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/perlqt: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/qtruby: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/qyoto: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/smoke: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:kde-base/smokeqt: Compile bindings for Phonon.
local:phonon:net-im/kadu: Enables phonon audio plugin
local:phonon:net-irc/kvirc: Support Phonon for audio output
local:phonon:net-irc/quassel: Build client with phonon backend
support. This enables sound playback in client.
local:phonon:x11-libs/qt-qt3support: Enable phonon configuration
dialog in qtconfig

local:pppd:net-dialup/capi4k-utils: Installs pppdcapiplugin modules

local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-assistant: Enable the Qt3Support
libraries for Qt4. Note that this does not mean you can compile pure
Qt3 programs with Qt4.
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-core: Enable the Qt3Support libraries
for Qt4. Note that this does not mean you can compile pure Qt3
programs with Qt4.
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-declarative: Enable the Qt3Support
libraries for Qt4. Note that this does not mean you can compile pure
Qt3 programs with Qt4.
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-demo: Enable the Qt3Support libraries
for Qt4. Note that this does not mean you can compile pure Qt3
programs with Qt4.
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-gui: Enable the Qt3Support libraries for
Qt4. Note that this does not mean you can compile pure Qt3 programs
with Qt4.
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-meta: Enable the Qt3Support library for Qt4
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-opengl: Enable the Qt3Support libraries for Qt4
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-openvg: Enable the Qt3Support libraries for Qt4
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-phonon: Enable the Qt3Support libraries
for Qt4. Note that this does not mean you can compile pure Qt3
programs with Qt4.
local:qt3support:x11-libs/qt-sql: Enable the Qt3Support libraries for Qt4

local:xorg:x11-base/xorg-server: Build the Xorg X server (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

qfile $( which quse )
app-portage/portage-utils (/usr/bin/quse)

<3 portage-utils, I know they're not standard, but I've always found
them faster/more useful than their e* equivalents I can never remember
the name for.

--
Kent

perl -e* "print substr( "edrgmaM* SPA NOcomil.ic@tfrken", $_ * 3,
3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"

Rich Freeman 03-16-2012 12:01 PM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Christoph Niethammer
<christoph.niethammer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Here the euse command is realy handy. :-)
> However the sysfs USE flag is still hiding its documentation.
> So lets see if this is a bug or a feature. ;-)

Yup, euse is helpful, or you can grep /usr/portage/profiles/use.*
(including the local version).

I suspect we'll find 3 categories here:

1. Stuff like amd64 which isn't really a USE flag proper, but which
is required due to how arch support works. As far as I know amd64 is
the only one in this category.

2. Stuff like pango which really are documented.

3. Stuff like sysfs which are neither. File a bug... :)

Rich

Joshua Kinard 03-16-2012 12:29 PM

On 03/16/2012 08:05, Christoph Niethammer wrote:

> Here is the list of USE flags I identified at my system:
>
> * Undocumented use flags:
> ----------

[snip]

> nptlonly

[snip]

nptlonly was used during the transition from linuxthreads to NPTL in glibc.
The toolchain would build glibc twice, once with linuxthreads, and the
other with NPTL. By setting this USE flag, you would cause glibc to only
build the NPTL version, thus cutting the build-time in half.

Whether it's needed or not anymore, I am not certain. It might be left over
for people who need an upgrade path from such an old glibc to something newer.

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic

Alec Warner 03-16-2012 03:55 PM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 5:49 AM, Christoph Niethammer
<christoph.niethammer@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I see. There is more documentation on a per package bases wich has to be considered, too. (Found already the metadata.xml files.)

The metadata.xml files are used to generate the use.local.desc file.

> As with the pango USE they may differe in their description - maybe also in their meaning for different packages. So local USE flags should only be used on a per package basis!

Usage of flags are not so clear cut as this, so I wouldn't make that
kind of generalization on their use.

Duncan 03-16-2012 04:53 PM

Undocumented and unused USE variables

Rich Freeman posted on Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:01:43 -0400 as excerpted:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Christoph Niethammer
> <christoph.niethammer@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Here the euse command is realy handy. :-)
>> However the sysfs USE flag is still hiding its documentation.
>> So lets see if this is a bug or a feature. ;-)
>
> Yup, euse is helpful, or you can grep /usr/portage/profiles/use.*
> (including the local version).

FWIW, there's also equery uses (or just equery u), part of gentoolkit
along with euse. But you run equery uses against a specific package, so
"equery u portage" for instance. Where USE flags have a package-specific
meaning, it's printed, and I've come to prefer equery u's output to euse -
i's.

FWIW(2), I'd suggest reading the equery manpage and getting familiar with
all of its actions. At least here, I find it QUITE a useful command. =:^)

There's also portage-utils and I believe a few other alternatives.
Personally, I prefer equery, but I have portage-utils installed, as I'll
see an occasional post-install message recommending a query using portage-
utils, and it's easier to just have it installed than it is to figure out
exactly what the query does and translate it to a equery.