Old 03-15-2012, 06:41 PM
Rich Freeman

Default /dev/serial/ (was "Let's redesign the entire filesystem!")

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 03:04:36PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
>> # ls -l /dev/serial
>> ls: cannot access /dev/serial: No such file or directory
>
> Do you have your serial device plugged in? *If not, it will not show up.

Yup - it is plugged in, and the links in /dev/mythser show up fine.
Since I've been recording my TV shows on the correct channels I have
to assume the devices are working fine too.

> You do know that USB buses can be dynamically renumbered depending on
> the phase of the moon, right? *Be careful here...

Hmm - this has been stable for me for years, compared to just using
/dev/ttyUSBn.

In any case, I have no idea why nothing shows up in /dev/serial. The
only device nodes I can find for serial are /dev/ttyUSBn and
/dev/mythser/n (the latter being from my own rules).

Rich