Old 03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
Marco Paolone

Default Stabilization requests from users

Hello gentoo-dev team,
scarabeus recently posted on his blog [1] about submission of stabilization
requests from users. Since using bugzilla could be a mess of duplicated
entries, I was thinking about a "Stabilization Party" once a month for example,
in order to have a coherent list of stabilizations, and users working togheter
with you developers. How does it sound?

[1] http://blogs.gentoo.org/scarabeus/2012/03/05/stabilisations-and-testing/

--
Linux Registered User #401479
GPG: 0x897AF14E

Old 03-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Duncan

Marco Paolone posted on Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:58:37 +0000 as excerpted:

> Hello gentoo-dev team,
> scarabeus recently posted on his blog [1] about submission of
> stabilization requests from users. Since using bugzilla could be a mess
> of duplicated entries, I was thinking about a "Stabilization Party" once
> a month for example,
> in order to have a coherent list of stabilizations, and users working
> togheter with you developers. How does it sound?
>
> [1]
> http://blogs.gentoo.org/scarabeus/2012/03/05/stabilisations-and-testing/

This reminds me of the "bug days" they used to have, once a month or once
a quarter, some years ago. I haven't read anything about that for "aeons"
now (since before arch-testers, IIRC), I'd guess since the dev(s)
coordinating them retired (?), but resurrecting that idea could be
useful. The stabilization party idea would then simply be the arch side
of the coin, with package bugs being the maintainer side.

Either way, it takes a strong leader with a decent priority for it and
the time to dedicate, to pull it off as a regular thing. Without that,
there might be one or two, but it'll peter out by #3 or 4...

AFAIK there used to be a bug-day keyword that could be added as well.
A dev could add that to any bug he thought could use some user testing,
either to nail down or pre-stabilization, and the bug-day coordinator
would pick bugs, mostly from that list, that he thought fit. Of course
users and devs could work on any bugs they chose on that day for their
"bug day points", but the list was helpful for categorizing bugs that
needed more testing that deep technical skill, and/or that could probably
be fixed with just a few minutes to hours of work, reasonably doable in a
small enough fraction of a day to allow someone to work on several the
same day, if they had the time to dedicate.

Back then, user bug-day activity, IRC presence, etc, was a big door to
recruitment.

It seems to me that many (not all) stabilization bugs should fit right
in, but the idea was then and I believe should be again, broader than
simply stabilization bugs, so more folks can participate.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:46 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 3/12/12 7:58 PM, Marco Paolone wrote:
> scarabeus recently posted on his blog [1] about submission of stabilization
> requests from users. Since using bugzilla could be a mess of duplicated
> entries, I was thinking about a "Stabilization Party" once a month for example,
> in order to have a coherent list of stabilizations, and users working togheter
> with you developers. How does it sound?

Don't worry about perfection (at least for now).

Just start filing stabilization requests, and _if_ it results in a mess
of duplicates (I don't think so) we can think about better process.

By the way, commenting on existing stable requests (success reports are
also valuable) is another great way to contribute.

Paweł Hajdan, Jr.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:41 AM
Marco Paolone

On mar, 13 2012 08:46:06, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 3/12/12 7:58 PM, Marco Paolone wrote:
>> scarabeus recently posted on his blog [1] about submission of stabilization
>> requests from users. Since using bugzilla could be a mess of duplicated
>> entries, I was thinking about a "Stabilization Party" once a month for example,
>> in order to have a coherent list of stabilizations, and users working togheter
>> with you developers. How does it sound?
>
> Don't worry about perfection (at least for now).
>
> Just start filing stabilization requests, and _if_ it results in a mess
> of duplicates (I don't think so) we can think about better process.
>
> By the way, commenting on existing stable requests (success reports are
> also valuable) is another great way to contribute.

So, let's see how thing goes, eventually we can even talk again about it, if
there will be problems.

Thanks!