-   -   RFD : .ebuild is only bash (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/643636-rfd-ebuild-only-bash.html)

Kent Fredric 03-12-2012 02:57 PM

RFD : .ebuild is only bash

On 12 March 2012 22:37, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ebuilds *are* bash. *There isn't ever going to be a PMS labeled
> xml format that is known as ebuilds... that's just pragmatic reality
> since such a beast is clearly a seperate format (thus trying to call
> it an 'ebuild' is dumb, confusing, and counter productive).

I think this notion should be concluded before we continue debating as
to how best to implement EAPI declarations.

Is it really so fixed that ".ebuild" will only ever be bash ?

If thats the case, then G55 ( or something similar ) is practically
guaranteed as soon as we want something non-bash.

--
Kent

perl -e* "print substr( "edrgmaM* SPA NOcomil.ic@tfrken", $_ * 3,
3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"

Ciaran McCreesh 03-12-2012 02:59 PM

RFD : .ebuild is only bash

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 04:57:04 +1300
Kent Fredric <kentfredric@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this notion should be concluded before we continue debating as
> to how best to implement EAPI declarations.
>
> Is it really so fixed that ".ebuild" will only ever be bash ?

What version of bash are we talking about here? It's not the case that
ebuilds will always be bash 3, which is enough to make GLEP 55 the safe
option.

--
Ciaran McCreesh