Old 03-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Pacho Ramos

Default media-optical, net-zope, sgml, text-markup herds are empty

El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:51 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:47 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> > Even if they have some people in their mail aliases, looks like herds
> > are empty. If nobody volunteers to join to them, I think we should drop
> > that herds and move their packages to maintainer-needed in a week or so.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> The same applies to "sgml" now that cryos is retiring

and text-markup, I think it's the last empty herd now

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 AM
Pacho Ramos

El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:56 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:51 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> > El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:47 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> > > Even if they have some people in their mail aliases, looks like herds
> > > are empty. If nobody volunteers to join to them, I think we should drop
> > > that herds and move their packages to maintainer-needed in a week or so.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> > >

> > The same applies to "sgml" now that cryos is retiring
>
> and text-markup, I think it's the last empty herd now

Maybe we could do the same as did in the past for openoffice herd:
- Change metadatas and bugs to assign them to maintainer-needed (and
reflect reality)
- Keep herd in metadatas and CCed them to bug reports

The other option would be to simply drop that herds, assign packages to
maintainer-needed and wait developers to grab whatever they want

What do you prefer?

Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM
Michał Górny

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:02:23 +0100
Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:

> El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:56 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> > El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:51 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> > > El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:47 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:

> > > The same applies to "sgml" now that cryos is retiring
> >
> > and text-markup, I think it's the last empty herd now
>
> Maybe we could do the same as did in the past for openoffice herd:
> - Change metadatas and bugs to assign them to maintainer-needed (and
> reflect reality)
> - Keep herd in metadatas and CCed them to bug reports
>
> The other option would be to simply drop that herds, assign packages
> to maintainer-needed and wait developers to grab whatever they want

For net-zope, I'd prefer dropping it. We decided to get rid of Zope,
removed almost all relevant packages, so there's no point in keeping
the herd.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Dirkjan Ochtman

On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 16:57, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> For net-zope, I'd prefer dropping it. We decided to get rid of Zope,
> removed almost all relevant packages, so there's no point in keeping
> the herd.

+1.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Old 03-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 16:57 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 09:02:23 +0100
> Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:56 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> > > El dom, 04-03-2012 a las 13:51 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:

> > > and text-markup, I think it's the last empty herd now
> >
> > Maybe we could do the same as did in the past for openoffice herd:
> > - Change metadatas and bugs to assign them to maintainer-needed (and
> > reflect reality)
> > - Keep herd in metadatas and CCed them to bug reports
> >
> > The other option would be to simply drop that herds, assign packages
> > to maintainer-needed and wait developers to grab whatever they want
>
> For net-zope, I'd prefer dropping it. We decided to get rid of Zope,
> removed almost all relevant packages, so there's no point in keeping
> the herd.

OK but, what about the rest?

Old 03-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Samuli Suominen

[...]

Please leave at least media-optical@ be as it is. Changing it doesn't
make any sense.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:15 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 22:02 +0200, Samuli Suominen escribi├│:
> On 03/09/2012 09:48 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 16:57 +0100, Michał Górny escribió:

> >> For net-zope, I'd prefer dropping it. We decided to get rid of Zope,
> >> removed almost all relevant packages, so there's no point in keeping
> >> the herd.
> >>

> > OK but, what about the rest?
>
> Please leave at least media-optical@ be as it is. Changing it doesn't
> make any sense.

Well, the idea would be to get their bugs assigned to maintainer-needed
and media-optical CCed if somebody wants to take that stuff someday, it
would reflect better reality as, currently, their bugs are being
assigned to an empty herd (yes, xarthisius (I think he was in alias but
not officially in herd last time I checked, anyway it's only one
example, nothing personal against him of course ). What will occur
when he simply drops his mail from alias as he never wanted to be a
member of that herd? What would occur if he only wants to maintain some
packages but others are getting ignored?

The idea to get them moved to "orphan" is to reflect reality and, that
way, try to get developers (or users willing to proxy maintain them)
involved on exact apps they really want to keep maintained.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 21:15 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 22:02 +0200, Samuli Suominen escribi├│:

> > > OK but, what about the rest?
> >
> > Please leave at least media-optical@ be as it is. Changing it doesn't
> > make any sense.
> >

> Well, the idea would be to get their bugs assigned to maintainer-needed
> and media-optical CCed if somebody wants to take that stuff someday, it
> would reflect better reality as, currently, their bugs are being
> assigned to an empty herd (yes, xarthisius (I think he was in alias but
> not officially in herd last time I checked, anyway it's only one
> example, nothing personal against him of course ). What will occur
> when he simply drops his mail from alias as he never wanted to be a
> member of that herd? What would occur if he only wants to maintain some
> packages but others are getting ignored?
>
> The idea to get them moved to "orphan" is to reflect reality and, that
> way, try to get developers (or users willing to proxy maintain them)
> involved on exact apps they really want to keep maintained.

As talked just now with Samuli, he added him to media-optical (both, to
alias and herds.xml) and then, this no longer applies to media-optical
obviously

Old 03-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 21:21 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> El vie, 09-03-2012 a las 21:15 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:

> > > Please leave at least media-optical@ be as it is. Changing it doesn't
> > > make any sense.
> > >

> > Well, the idea would be to get their bugs assigned to maintainer-needed
> > and media-optical CCed if somebody wants to take that stuff someday, it
> > would reflect better reality as, currently, their bugs are being
> > assigned to an empty herd (yes, xarthisius (I think he was in alias but
> > not officially in herd last time I checked, anyway it's only one
> > example, nothing personal against him of course ). What will occur
> > when he simply drops his mail from alias as he never wanted to be a
> > member of that herd? What would occur if he only wants to maintain some
> > packages but others are getting ignored?
> >
> > The idea to get them moved to "orphan" is to reflect reality and, that
> > way, try to get developers (or users willing to proxy maintain them)
> > involved on exact apps they really want to keep maintained.
>
> As talked just now with Samuli, he added him to media-optical (both, to
> alias and herds.xml) and then, this no longer applies to media-optical
> obviously

Will then do the following:
- Add a <maintainer> tag to their metadatas to get bugs assigned to
maintainer-needed
- Keep herd to get it CCed (like was done some weeks ago with openoffice
herd)

This applies to "sgml" and "text-markup" since media-optical is active
again and looks like net-zope packages will go away soon