Old 04-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Corentin Chary

Default New eclass for Python

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:22 PM, Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have a package that depends on python-dateutilython-2 for
>> python2_x and python-dateutilython-3 for python3_x.
>> Would it be possible to have virtual targets like "python, python2,
>> python3, pypi, jithon" ?
>>

> With regards to python-dateutil: As of python-dateutil-2.1, there are
> no longer separate slots for python-2 and python-3. As well, I masked
> the only version (2.0) with SLOT=python-3.
>
> For future compatibility, you should remove the slot from your
> dependencies and just depend on dev-python/python-dateutil.

Yep, I just saw that. But well, celery is full of examples like thats
since it have different dependencies for python2, python2.5, python2.5
+ tests, jython, jython + tests, etc..
Having a way to group similar python would be great.

--
Corentin Chary
http://xf.iksaif.net

Old 04-04-2012, 02:41 PM
Mike Gilbert

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a feature request for distutil-ng (or maybe it's already
> possible but I don't know how).
>
> I have a package that depends on python-dateutilython-2 for
> python2_x and python-dateutilython-3 for python3_x.
> Would it be possible to have virtual targets like "python, python2,
> python3, pypi, jithon" ?

One way to implement this would be to have a separate function that
you would call to generate abi-specific dependencies.

Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM
Brian Harring

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:41:03AM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have a feature request for distutil-ng (or maybe it's already
> > possible but I don't know how).
> >
> > I have a package that depends on python-dateutilython-2 for
> > python2_x and python-dateutilython-3 for python3_x.
> > Would it be possible to have virtual targets like "python, python2,
> > python3, pypi, jithon" ?
> >

> One way to implement this would be to have a separate function that
> you would call to generate abi-specific dependencies.

Think through the performance implications of that, and the fact that
moves control/decisions outside of the PM resolvers purview.

If it's use controlled and is part of metadata, sure, but anything
else? Not so much.

~harring

Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Mike Gilbert

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:41:03AM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 4:50 AM, Corentin Chary <corentin.chary@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a feature request for distutil-ng (or maybe it's already
>> > possible but I don't know how).
>> >
>> > I have a package that depends on python-dateutilython-2 for
>> > python2_x and python-dateutilython-3 for python3_x.
>> > Would it be possible to have virtual targets like "python, python2,
>> > python3, pypi, jithon" ?
>> >

>> One way to implement this would be to have a separate function that
>> you would call to generate abi-specific dependencies.
>
> Think through the performance implications of that, and the fact that
> moves control/decisions outside of the PM resolvers purview.
>
> If it's use controlled and is part of metadata, sure, but anything
> else? *Not so much.

All I'm talking about is a function or function(s) to generate deps like these:

python2_6? ( dev-python/python-dateutil[python2_6] )
python2_7? ( dev-python/python-dateutil[python2_7] )

I'm not sure how that would affect "performance".

Old 04-05-2012, 12:45 AM
Brian Harring

On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 08:36:37PM -0400, Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> One way to implement this would be to have a separate function that
> >> you would call to generate abi-specific dependencies.
> >
> > Think through the performance implications of that, and the fact that
> > moves control/decisions outside of the PM resolvers purview.
> >
> > If it's use controlled and is part of metadata, sure, but anything
> > else? ??Not so much.
>
> All I'm talking about is a function or function(s) to generate deps like these:
>
> python2_6? ( dev-python/python-dateutil[python2_6] )
> python2_7? ( dev-python/python-dateutil[python2_7] )
>
> I'm not sure how that would affect "performance".

Nah, that's fine- that's metadata level representation of it.

Sorry, aparenytly I misread your original email- interpretted it as
shelling out for that decision (something people propose
occasionally, and usually needs to be stomped out w/ maximal force),
rather than representing it properly in dependencies.

What you're intending there is perfectly sane/acceptable; pardon the
noise

~brian