Old 02-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Johannes Huber

Default color management in gentoo (kde expecially) proposal for help

Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012, 15:47:09 schrieb Francesco Riosa:
> Hi,
> my name is Francesco Riosa, I would be interested in a more
> complete support of the oyranos color managment programs in ::gentoo.
> Oyranos is intended to be multy platform and in some sense multy os,
> but in the current incarnation has good support for kde.
>
> In case there is interest I can apply to return as a developer in
> gentoo, will respond to emails this week end (25/26 Feb)
>
> I'm _not_ offering support for digikam, for which I develop, because I
> would like to mantain a two step verification process
> (developer/packager)
>
> Regards,
> Francesco

Hi Francesco,

we have already kde-misc/kolor-manager in tree.

Greetings,
--
Johannes Huber (johu)
Gentoo Linux Developer / KDE Team

Old 02-23-2012, 09:51 PM
Francesco Riosa

2012/2/23 Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>:
> Hi Francesco,
>
> certainly help is always welcome! (& thanks for all your upstream work with
> digikam and its database!)

it's a pleasure, also that work has ben temporarily halted, will
re-start very soon (this we)

> I'd love to offer my help on the Gentoo side, but unfortunately I'm just about
> to leave in a couple of days for a long (4weeks) business+vacation trip. While
> I'll take my laptop and occasionally do Gentoo stuff, I wont be able to
> dedicate much time...
>
> Best thing is probably to talk to the guys on #gentoo-kde, and if you have
> questions about other software they can help you find the right people.

will do that in the weekend too

Old 02-23-2012, 10:06 PM
Francesco Riosa

2012/2/23 Johannes Huber <johu@gentoo.org>:
> Am Donnerstag, 23. Februar 2012, 15:47:09 schrieb Francesco Riosa:
>> Hi,
>> * *my name is Francesco Riosa, I would be interested in a more
>> complete support of the oyranos color managment programs in ::gentoo.
>> Oyranos is intended to be multy platform and in some sense multy os,
>> but in the current incarnation has good support for kde.
>>
>> In case there is interest I can apply to return as a developer in
>> gentoo, will respond to emails this week end (25/26 Feb)
>>
>> I'm _not_ offering support for digikam, for which I develop, because I
>> would like to mantain a two step verification process
>> (developer/packager)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Francesco
>
> Hi Francesco,
>
> we have already kde-misc/kolor-manager in tree.

app-admin/elektra
media-gfx/icc_examin
media-gfx/lprof (only if ported to lcms2)
media-gfx/xcm
media-libs/oyranos
x11-libs/libXcm

I'm thinking about these

and also the synnefo project mentioned before (yet TODO)

Old 02-24-2012, 08:44 AM
"Francesco R.(vivo)"

re-adding the list, gmail still fool me some times.
2012/2/23 Kai-Uwe Behrmann <ku.b@gmx.de>:
> Hello,
>
> glad to read from you.
>
> Am 23.02.12, 15:47 +0100 schrieb Francesco Riosa:
>
>> Hi,
>> my name is Francesco Riosa, I would be interested in a more
>> complete support of the oyranos color managment programs in ::gentoo.
>> Oyranos is intended to be multy platform and in some sense multy os,
>> but in the current incarnation has good support for kde.
>

> Joseph works on a GUI front end for Qt to broaden the support. And you are
> right, KDE's KolorManager is in the best shape.

Synnefo is already in a good shape too right? I would also like to see
a complete replacement for icc-examin, expecially it's ability to see
multiply profiles in the same 3d space, you know, to be able to say
those 300€ for a better monitor were a good price ;-)

>> In case there is interest I can apply to return as a developer in
>> gentoo, will respond to emails this week end (25/26 Feb)
>

> I read this as a offer to help packaging in gentoo. Typical I work with
> packagers and like to easen their work. Personally I maintain a openSUSE
> colour managed software stack as packager myself and be open for suggestions
> or ideas from Fedora and gladly from gentoo as well.

indeed it's an offer for direct or proxyed help gentoo, a pair of
ideas that would help gentoo later

> Often it was mentioned to use autotools or cmake. The next soon to be
> released rersion of libXcm, one small library, will be autotooled. The
> conversion is a hard and time consuming part for me, but we hope to get all
> packages converted. Initially I had some help, which was a good kick off.

unlike the rest of the world I prefer cmake over autotools, but if you
need help on autotools I suggest to ask this list, there is a lot of
expertise here and packagers are going to fix bug in build system
anyway, so better soon than later.
Gentoo has good support for quite every build system out there, but
yes the two you mentioned are preferred.

While gentoo is more flexible than binary distro, there is one thing
that help them a lot, do releases (possibly often), they need a fixed
point to start with, having only a git repository where to pull mean
to be a second class cityzen.

> In case you want to maintain gentoo specific files inside the upstream
> packages and keep them up to date, that is possible. I do so with a rpm and
> deb make target. Not sure if that makes sense for gentoo.

I'm quite sure it's not needed, to the opposite, generally those files
go out of sync easily and are better mantained by gentoo devs.

> The build scripts and a README are linked here:
> http://www.oyranos.org/wiki/index.php?title=Oyranos/git
> icc_examin-build-local.sh can be adapted.
> As one nice step it would be great, if you can name one or more command
> lines to get gentoo ready for building Oyranos and the other parts of the
> software stack. So people could test Oyranos from git easily inside gentoo.

I've the complete oyranos software stack building well in gentoo at
the moment (using git) :-)