Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Pacho Ramos

Default eutils.eclass: make_desktop_entry doesn't follow freedesktop spec

Attached patch tries to make it respect:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

for app-* categories. Currently, all categories are set as "Main
Category" and that causes them to be shown under "Others" in Gnome menu.
The way to go is to put "Additional Categories" insider their respective
main categories.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:49 PM
Brian Dolbec

On Thu, 2012-02-23 at 10:29 +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Attached patch tries to make it respect:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html
>
> for app-* categories. Currently, all categories are set as "Main
> Category" and that causes them to be shown under "Others" in Gnome menu.
> The way to go is to put "Additional Categories" insider their respective
> main categories.

your missing portage in that catmin group. There are several packages
in that group that are gtk guis, some QT/kde.

I have always had porthole's .desktop explicitly set the category to
System in order for it to be correct.
--
Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org>

Old 02-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> Attached patch tries to make it respect:
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

> The way to go is to put "Additional Categories" insider their
> respective main categories.

> + emacs) type="Utility;TextEditor";;

This should go into the same category as Emacs itself, namely
"Development;TextEditor".

(The description of the Utility category is "Small utility
application, 'Accessories'" which looks wrong for Emacs.)

> + vim) type="Utility;TextEditor";;
> + xemacs) type="Utility;TextEditor";;

The same for these, both desktop entries of XEmacs and gVim have
Development as their main category.

Ulrich

Old 02-23-2012, 02:34 PM
Samuli Suominen

Attached patch tries to make it respect:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

The way to go is to put "Additional Categories" insider their
respective main categories.

+ emacs) type="Utility;TextEditor";;

This should go into the same category as Emacs itself, namely
"Development;TextEditor".

(The description of the Utility category is "Small utility
application, 'Accessories'" which looks wrong for Emacs.)

+ vim) type="Utility;TextEditor";;
+ xemacs) type="Utility;TextEditor";;

The same for these, both desktop entries of XEmacs and gVim have
Development as their main category.

Ulrich

TextEditor is a subcategory of Utility[1], so what pacho suggested is
correct

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

Old 02-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Ulrich Mueller

> TextEditor is a subcategory of Utility[1], so what pacho suggested
> is correct

The cited specification [1] says:
| The table below describes Additional Categories. The Related
| Categories column lists one or more categories that are suggested
| to be used in conjunction with the Additional Category.

As I read it, "Utility" is only a suggestion, but isn't mandatory as
main category for "TextEditor".

Ulrich

Old 02-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Pacho Ramos

El jue, 23-02-2012 a las 17:03 +0100, Ulrich Mueller escribió:

> > TextEditor is a subcategory of Utility[1], so what pacho suggested
> > is correct
>
> The cited specification [1] says:
> | The table below describes Additional Categories. The Related
> | Categories column lists one or more categories that are suggested
> | to be used in conjunction with the Additional Category.
>
> As I read it, "Utility" is only a suggestion, but isn't mandatory as
> main category for "TextEditor".
>
> Ulrich
>
> > [1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

I have no problem on moving them to "Development" if you think their fit
better there

Old 02-24-2012, 04:17 PM
Ulrich Mueller

>> The cited specification [1] says:
>> | The table below describes Additional Categories. The Related
>> | Categories column lists one or more categories that are suggested
>> | to be used in conjunction with the Additional Category.
>>
>> As I read it, "Utility" is only a suggestion, but isn't mandatory
>> as main category for "TextEditor".
>>
>> > [1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/latest/apa.html

> I have no problem on moving them to "Development" if you think their
> fit better there

Please do.

Ulrich

Old 02-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Pacho Ramos

El vie, 24-02-2012 a las 18:17 +0100, Ulrich Mueller escribió:

> >> The cited specification [1] says:
> >>
> >> As I read it, "Utility" is only a suggestion, but isn't mandatory
> >> as main category for "TextEditor".

> > I have no problem on moving them to "Development" if you think their
> > fit better there
>
> Please do.
>
> Ulrich

Committed with that changes