FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Pacho Ramos
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
stabilization)?

I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
testing purposes :-/

Thanks a lot for the info
 
Old 02-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Justin
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

On 20.02.2012 21:34, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
> preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
> stabilization)?
>
> I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
> testing purposes :-/
>
> Thanks a lot for the info

Here was the last one

http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_b6db68b41a4b318ea2122fb982c10dfb.xml

For me it worked fine for months now.

justin
 
Old 02-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Pacho Ramos
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

El lun, 20-02-2012 a las 21:41 +0100, Justin escribió:
> On 20.02.2012 21:34, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
> > preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
> > stabilization)?
> >
> > I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
> > testing purposes :-/
> >
> > Thanks a lot for the info
>
> Here was the last one
>
> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_b6db68b41a4b318ea2122fb982c10dfb.xml
>
> For me it worked fine for months now.
>
> justin
>
>

Bleh, looks like grub is blocking this , will need to wait then (or
maybe move to grub2 )
 
Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Richard Yao
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

We had a chat about this in #gentoo-dev the other night. I might come
up with a solution as part of the ZFS stuff that I am doing, but it
won't happen for at least a month.

With that said, it doesn't look like GRUB is the only blocker:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=gcc-4.6

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
> El lun, 20-02-2012 a las 21:41 +0100, Justin escribió:
>> On 20.02.2012 21:34, Pacho Ramos wrote:
>> > I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
>> > preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
>> > stabilization)?
>> >
>> > I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
>> > testing purposes :-/
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot for the info
>>
>> Here was the last one
>>
>> http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/msg_b6db68b41a4b318ea2122fb982c10dfb.xml
>>
>> For me it worked fine for months now.
>>
>> justin
>>
>>
>
> Bleh, looks like grub is blocking this , will need to wait then (or
> maybe move to grub2 )
 
Old 02-20-2012, 10:47 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

>
> Bleh, looks like grub is blocking this , will need to wait then (or
> maybe move to grub2 )

Yeah... anyone helping to debug this tricky thingy[*] is likely welcome.
Would like to help, but cant do much atm because of real-life work load...
[*] https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=360513

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer
kde, sci, arm, tex, printing
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:03 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:34:14 +0100
Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
> preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
> stabilization)?
>
> I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
> testing purposes :-/

Grub is the only blocker. I don't want to unmask something that makes
people's systems unbootable.

I'm also out of ideas and open to suggestions.


--
fonts, gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets
@ gentoo.org
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:16 AM
Matt Turner
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:34:14 +0100
> Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
>> preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
>> stabilization)?
>>
>> I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
>> testing purposes :-/
>
> Grub is the only blocker. *I don't want to unmask something that makes
> people's systems unbootable.
>
> I'm also out of ideas and open to suggestions.

Is it a bad idea to go ahead and unmask it on architectures that don't use grub?
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:17 AM
Zac Medico
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

On 02/20/2012 05:03 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:34:14 +0100
> Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
>> preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
>> stabilization)?
>>
>> I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
>> testing purposes :-/
>
> Grub is the only blocker. I don't want to unmask something that makes
> people's systems unbootable.
>
> I'm also out of ideas and open to suggestions.

Stabilize grub-1.99, and modify the grub-0.9x ebuilds to die if they
can't find a supported compiler.
--
Thanks,
Zac
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
Alexandre Rostovtsev
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

On Mon, 2012-02-20 at 19:03 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:34:14 +0100
> Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
> > preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
> > stabilization)?
> >
> > I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
> > testing purposes :-/
>
> Grub is the only blocker. I don't want to unmask something that makes
> people's systems unbootable.
>
> I'm also out of ideas and open to suggestions.

gcc is slotted. Is there any reason why we can't simply make grub depend
on a working slot of gcc and set CC appropriately in the ebuild?

-Alexandre
 
Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 AM
Richard Yao
 
Default About gcc-4.6 unmasking

Ryan,

I took a look at the problem cited in your bug report. I suggest
compiling sys-boot/grub with CFLAGS="-O0 -ggdb3", attaching gdb to
grub-install and then watching what happens in the debugger. If you
compare runs with a GCC 4.5.3 built stage2 and a GCC 4.6.2 built
stage2, you should be able to find the bug.

Yours truly,
Richard Yao

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:03 PM, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 21:34:14 +0100
> Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't know if this has been discussed before but, what issues are
>> preventing us from unmasking gcc-4.6 (and think on a near
>> stabilization)?
>>
>> I have read hardmask message but it simply explains that it's masked for
>> testing purposes :-/
>
> Grub is the only blocker. *I don't want to unmask something that makes
> people's systems unbootable.
>
> I'm also out of ideas and open to suggestions.
>
>
> --
> fonts, gcc-porting
> toolchain, wxwidgets
> @ gentoo.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org