Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

Default Remove package from system set in custom profile

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi; I'm trying to make a custom profile, and I need to remove a
> package from the system set. Is there a way I can do this without
> editing /usr/portage/profiles/base/packages?

I see now that I can copy the whole /usr/portage/profiles dir to my
overlay, edit base/packages there, and link /etc/make.profile to the
profile in my overlay. This has several drawbacks:

1. I need to keep in syncro the profiles dir in my overlay to the one
in the portage tree.
2. I probably don't need a whole copy of /usr/portage/profiles.
3. It sure is ugly as hell.

Is there a better way to do it?

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 AM
Duncan

Canek Peláez Valdés posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:26:22 -0600 as
excerpted:

> Hi; I'm trying to make a custom profile, and I need to remove a package
> from the system set. Is there a way I can do this without editing
> /usr/portage/profiles/base/packages?
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong place for asking such a question.

FWIW, gentoo-dev is for development related questions. The right place
would be the gentoo-user list. Not really right but better than the
general gentoo-dev list would be the portage-devel list.

Never-the-less and not to send you away empty-handed, yes of course
there's a way to override it locally. Gentoo wouldn't be gentoo
otherwise. =:^)

See the portage (5) manpage, in particular, a search on
"/etc/portage/profile" in that manpage, plus the note under the packages
file description (in the /etc/make.profile/ section) about removing
packages from the system set.

More specifically, here's my /etc/portage/profile/packages:

# I don't need these
-*sys-apps/busybox
-*sys-apps/module-init-tools

If the package is listed as a dependency somewhere as well, you may need
to add an entry to packages.provided in the same dir, as well. For
example, from mine (I build everything I need into the kernel,
no kernel modules so no module-init-tools needed to load them, either):

sys-apps/module-init-tools-9999

Old 02-17-2012, 04:32 AM
Canek Peláez Valdés

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
> Canek Peláez Valdés posted on Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:26:22 -0600 as
> excerpted:
>
>> Hi; I'm trying to make a custom profile, and I need to remove a package
>> from the system set. Is there a way I can do this without editing
>> /usr/portage/profiles/base/packages?
>>
>> Sorry if this is the wrong place for asking such a question.
>
> FWIW, gentoo-dev is for development related questions. *The right place
> would be the gentoo-user list. *Not really right but better than the
> general gentoo-dev list would be the portage-devel list.

I would have that in mind next time.

> Never-the-less and not to send you away empty-handed, yes of course
> there's a way to override it locally. *Gentoo wouldn't be gentoo
> otherwise. =:^)
>
> See the portage (5) manpage, in particular, a search on
> "/etc/portage/profile" in that manpage, plus the note under the packages
> file description (in the /etc/make.profile/ section) about removing
> packages from the system set.
>
> More specifically, here's my /etc/portage/profile/packages:
>
> # I don't need these
> -*sys-apps/busybox
> -*sys-apps/module-init-tools
>
> If the package is listed as a dependency somewhere as well, you may need
> to add an entry to packages.provided in the same dir, as well. *For
> example, from mine (I build everything I need into the kernel,
> no kernel modules so no module-init-tools needed to load them, either):
>
> sys-apps/module-init-tools-9999

That's exactly what I needed. Thanks.

Regards.