Old 02-09-2012, 10:41 AM
Pacho Ramos

Default About masking net-misc/mDNSResponder for removal

Hello

Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
replace it.

OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
it?

Old 02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Pacho Ramos

El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> Hello
>
> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
> replace it.
>
> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
> it?

OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?

Old 02-13-2012, 10:06 AM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
>> Hello
>>
>> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
>> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
>> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
>> replace it.
>>
>> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
>> it?
>
> OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?

Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.

+1 to remove the mess.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:06 PM
Dale

"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
>> El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
>>> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
>>> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
>>> replace it.
>>>
>>> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
>>> it?
>>
>> OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?
>
> Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.
>
> +1 to remove the mess.

I just noticed this:

kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.0-r1 (!bindist ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
kde-base/krdc-4.8.0 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.11-r1 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
net-misc/ntp-4.2.6_p4 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

I'm assuming this is not going to break something.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Pacho Ramos

El lun, 13-02-2012 a las 16:06 -0600, Dale escribi├│:
> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> > On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> >> El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:

> >> OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?
> >
> > Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.
> >
> > +1 to remove the mess.
> >

> I just noticed this:
>
> kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.0-r1 (!bindist ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

Then, bindist could be dropped from there as it's only there to allow
mDNSResponder usage over avahi.

> kde-base/krdc-4.8.0 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

It depends on:
zeroconf? (
|| (
net-dns/avahi
net-misc/mDNSResponder
)
)

> media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.11-r1 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
> net-misc/ntp-4.2.6_p4 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

The same

Old 02-18-2012, 07:34 AM
Pacho Ramos

El lun, 13-02-2012 a las 12:06 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." escribió:
> On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
> >> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
> >> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
> >> replace it.
> >>
> >> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
> >> it?
> >
> > OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?
>
> Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.
>
> +1 to remove the mess.

I guess will be safer to drop mDNSResponder deps with a revbump to force
people to rebuild them against avahi instead of mDNSResponder, no?