-   -   About masking net-misc/mDNSResponder for removal (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-development/630662-about-masking-net-misc-mdnsresponder-removal.html)

Pacho Ramos 02-09-2012 10:41 AM

About masking net-misc/mDNSResponder for removal

Hello

Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
replace it.

OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
it?

Pacho Ramos 02-13-2012 09:55 AM

About masking net-misc/mDNSResponder for removal

El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribiˇ:
> Hello
>
> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
> replace it.
>
> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
> it?

OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?

"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." 02-13-2012 10:06 AM

On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
>> Hello
>>
>> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
>> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
>> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
>> replace it.
>>
>> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
>> it?
>
> OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?

Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.

+1 to remove the mess.

Dale 02-13-2012 09:06 PM

"Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
>> El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
>>> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
>>> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
>>> replace it.
>>>
>>> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
>>> it?
>>
>> OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?
>
> Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.
>
> +1 to remove the mess.

I just noticed this:

kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.0-r1 (!bindist ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
kde-base/krdc-4.8.0 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.11-r1 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
net-misc/ntp-4.2.6_p4 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

I'm assuming this is not going to break something.

Dale

:-) :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output? Hint:
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"

Pacho Ramos 02-14-2012 08:30 AM

About masking net-misc/mDNSResponder for removal

El lun, 13-02-2012 a las 16:06 -0600, Dale escribi├│:
> "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." wrote:
> > On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> >> El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:

> >> OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?
> >
> > Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.
> >
> > +1 to remove the mess.
> >

> I just noticed this:
>
> kde-base/kdelibs-4.8.0-r1 (!bindist ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

Then, bindist could be dropped from there as it's only there to allow
mDNSResponder usage over avahi.

> kde-base/krdc-4.8.0 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

It depends on:
zeroconf? (
|| (
net-dns/avahi
net-misc/mDNSResponder
)
)

> media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.11-r1 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)
> net-misc/ntp-4.2.6_p4 (zeroconf ? net-misc/mDNSResponder)

The same

Pacho Ramos 02-18-2012 07:34 AM

El lun, 13-02-2012 a las 12:06 +0100, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." escribió:
> On 2/13/12 11:55 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > El jue, 09-02-2012 a las 12:41 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribi├│:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> Looks like our net-misc/mDNSResponder packages are orphan and
> >> unmaintained for a looong time, they also have some opened bugs (with
> >> hangs, build problems...) and looks like avahi with mdns compat can
> >> replace it.
> >>
> >> OK with masking it for removal? If not, is anyone willing to maintain
> >> it?
> >
> > OK to start dropping it from dependencies and mask it for removal?
>
> Since there was no response to the original e-mail... I second this.
>
> +1 to remove the mess.

I guess will be safer to drop mDNSResponder deps with a revbump to force
people to rebuild them against avahi instead of mDNSResponder, no?