FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Philip Webb
 
Default Dropping localepurge

120130 Mart Raudsepp wrote:
> On E, 2012-01-30 at 06:56 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Thanks for the useful & polite response. I will look into LINGUAS.
>> How to set it is not mentioned in make.conf.example or in man make.conf :
>> where is it documented ?
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/guide-localization.xml#doc_chap3
> I presume you only have things set in /etc/locale.nopurge
> and wrongly expect packages to honor it.
> Specific packages do not and can not look at that file,
> as it's localepurge specific
> and upstream projects shouldn't have any knowledge of it.
> LINGUAS is the standard environment variable for this
> with gettext based systems, and intltool honors it as well.
> I remember a longer description of it in some info file,
> but right now only found
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Installers.html
> Bugs are hopefully appreciated by maintainers for packages
> that don't honor that environment variable set via /etc/make.conf.

I added a line 'LINGUAS="en"' to make.conf & rebooted,
emerged the 6 pkgs I listed in a previous msg & ran 'localepurge' again.
This time, only 'rekonq' & 'sane-backends' offended.

> If an upstream doesn't honor it, they are probably just not using
> the standard autoconf/automake glue for it correctly
> or use a different build system support for it wrongly
> or the build system is suboptimal on this.

I'm surprised at 'sane-backends', which is a longstanding app,
but 'rekonq' is a recent invention & may need informing re the issue.

> Some Gentoo packages also have a LINGUAS USE_EXPAND,
> so show up in emerge --verbose --ask world and similar outputs.
> This is typically used when extra downloads are necessary for the languages
> (e.g firefox or libreoffice per-language packs)
> and often don't honor the "LINGUAS unset == all languages" convention.
> Packages that don't need any extra downloads or long building time
> do not expose this as USE_EXPAND USE flags and just silently work it out
> in their build system, and that's the most reasonable approach for us.

Yes, I've seen it in output for 'emerge -pv' for FF & LO.

> Hope this helps,

Yes, that's exactly the kind of response users need:
LINGUAS is some way down the doc you refer to & I assumed LANG was enough.

I also realised that as 'localepurge' is a script,
I can move it to /usr/local/bin/ , if it does fall out of the tree.

I will file bugs for the 2 offending pkgs above
& leave the hard-working devs to get on with their other affairs.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
 
Old 01-30-2012, 08:58 PM
"Walter Dnes"
 
Default Dropping localepurge

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 02:32:13PM +0200, Mart Raudsepp wrote

> I remember a longer description of it in some info file, but right
> now only found
> http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_node/Installers.html

[...deletia...]

> Some Gentoo packages also have a LINGUAS USE_EXPAND, so show up in
> emerge --verbose --ask world and similar outputs. This is typically used
> when extra downloads are necessary for the languages (e.g firefox or
> libreoffice per-language packs), and often don't honor the "LINGUAS
> unset == all languages" convention.

A question about LINGUAS settings, or the documentation thereof. The
URL you pointed to says "LINGUAS should then contain a space separated
list of two-letter codes, stating which languages are allowed.". But
"emerge -pv firefox" (and others) contains a list of 2 and 5 character
codes, e.g. "en" and "-en_GB -en_ZA". How is that handled?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>
 
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Q
 
Default Dropping localepurge

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:09:57 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 29 January 2012 00:01:50 Philip Webb wrote:

> > Below is the output from 'localepurge' after this week's system
> > update. Please don't drop it till 'should' does = 'does'.
>
> the vast majority of that output comes from like 3 or 4 packages.
> file bugs if you want things to actually get fixed.
> -mike

That was only from one week of updates. localepurge routinely cleans
quite a bit for me, though I can't guess how many packages.

I'll start filing bugs (as time permits - this doesn't seem like an
urgent issue to me) and see what happens.

AIUI, LINGUAS is the only variable that should affect what locale stuff
gets installed. Is that right? Before filing bugs, I'd like to be
sure my results aren't because of bad settings on my end.

I have

$ grep -i linguas /etc/make.conf
LINGUAS="en_US en"

$ env | grep LANG
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=

$ env | grep LC_
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8

Today's "offender" was webkit, putting a lot of stuff
in /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/
 
Old 01-31-2012, 04:26 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default Dropping localepurge

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 16:58:30 -0500
"Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> A question about LINGUAS settings, or the documentation thereof. The
> URL you pointed to says "LINGUAS should then contain a space separated
> list of two-letter codes, stating which languages are allowed.". But
> "emerge -pv firefox" (and others) contains a list of 2 and 5 character
> codes, e.g. "en" and "-en_GB -en_ZA". How is that handled?

"A locale name is generally named ab_CD where ab is your two (or three)
letter language code (as specified in ISO-639) and CD is your two letter
country code (as specified in ISO-3166)."

Look in /usr/share/locale to get an idea of what is available.


--
fonts, gcc-porting
toolchain, wxwidgets
@ gentoo.org
 
Old 01-31-2012, 11:50 AM
Philip Webb
 
Default Dropping localepurge

120130 Q wrote:
> I'll start filing bugs (as time permits - this doesn't seem like an
> urgent issue to me) and see what happens.
> Today's "offender" was webkit, putting a lot of stuff
> in /usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/

I've filed bugs 401525 + 401563 for Rekonq + Sane-backends.
I plan to run 'localepurge' every week after I've done a system update
& submit further bugs for each offending pkg.

At least for now, 'localepurge' makes this process much easier,
so it should remain available until all offenders have been reported.

--
========================,,======================== ====================
SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
 
Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default Dropping localepurge

On Monday 30 January 2012 19:39:03 Q wrote:
> AIUI, LINGUAS is the only variable that should affect what locale stuff
> gets installed. Is that right?

yes
-mike
 
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Piotr Szymaniak
 
Default Dropping localepurge

On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 10:17:56AM -0500, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2012 19:39:03 Q wrote:
> > AIUI, LINGUAS is the only variable that should affect what locale stuff
> > gets installed. Is that right?
>
> yes
> -mike

This should also affect man pages installation? Looking at LC_MESSAGES
it doesn't look that bad. But man pages are out of control.

Piotr Szymaniak.
--
Stajesz sie odpowiedzialny na zawsze za to, co oswoiles.
-- Antoine De Saint-Exupery, "Le Petit Prince"
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org