Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM
"Mr. Aaron W. Swenson"

Default Free Gentoo

On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 01:09:45PM -0500, JD Horelick wrote:
> On 21 January 2012 13:01, . <ivdwut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello there!
> >
> > Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
> >
> > I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> > the main tree.
> > The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> > You are actually ruining this goal.
> >
> > I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> > not the whole system.
> >

> > Cheers.
> >

> To your first comment, I believe you can put:
>
> ACCEPT_LICENSES="@FSF-APPROVED"
>
> in your /etc/make.conf and with that, portage will only allow you to
> install software with a license approved by the FSF.
>
> As for your second comment.....No comment. :P

To answer your question: Gentoo Linux is a free distro. To be more precise, it
is a free meta-distribution. In fact, all of the packages in the tree are
free.

As to the name: 'Gentoo' is the name of the organization, 'Linux' is the
name of the operating system. 'Gentoo Linux' is a fairly sensible name for
a product.

--
Mr. Aaron W. Swenson
Gentoo Linux Developer

Old 01-21-2012, 06:08 PM
"Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)"

El 21/01/12 19:01, . escribiˇ:
> Hello there!
>
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
>
> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.
> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> You are actually ruining this goal.
>
> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.
If it weren't because I know rms won't ever use gmail I'd thought it
could have him under another name since I had this same discussion with
him at FSCONS.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:56 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."

On 1/21/12 7:01 PM, . wrote:
> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> You are actually ruining this goal.

Forcing people to use a system that doesn't meet their requirements is
not the right solution to this problem.

It's not like people using one of
<http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html> distros don't use
non-free software _because_ the distro doesn't package it. They use
those distros because they don't want non-free software.

And with that clear, you can actually do the same using ACCEPT_LICENSES
in Gentoo.

If you want other people to use free software more, you can tell them to
use ACCEPT_LICENSES on Gentoo, or not to use non-free in Debian, or to
switch to one of <http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html> distros.
But ultimately it's their choice and their responsibility.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:12 PM
Michał Górny

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:01:26 +0300
"." <ivdwut@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?

It's free. We don't force it to do anything, it may leave any day it
wishes.

> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.

Yes, that's bad news. I always thought we didn't keep packages
in there. I'm sure we will hunt them down soon.

> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix
> system. You are actually ruining this goal.

Yes, we all run proprietary unix systems on our Gentoo. I'm not sure
where it hides but I'm sure I will find it someday.

> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.

Please punish us by removing from distrowatch. Oh wait...

I'm wonder why I'm replying to a mail sent by person who lacks enough
courage to sign him-/herself. I guess I want to be funny too.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:01:26 +0300
> "." <ivdwut@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
>> not the whole system.
>
> Please punish us by removing from distrowatch. Oh wait...
>
> I'm wonder why I'm replying to a mail sent by person who lacks enough
> courage to sign him-/herself. I guess I want to be funny too.

Actually, I'm wondering how much cognitive dissonance it takes to
complain about the possibility of using proprietary software in a mail
sent via gmail.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 01-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Markos Chandras

Old 01-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Alec Warner

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4083/5055032357_69d1d1be72.jpg

Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM
"Francesco R.(vivo)"

On Saturday 21 January 2012 21:56:22 Markos Chandras wrote:
> On 01/21/2012 06:01 PM, . wrote:
> > Hello there!
> >
> > Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
> >
> > I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages
> > in the main tree. The main goal of the GNU project was to replace
> > the proprietary Unix system. You are actually ruining this goal.
> >
> > I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the
> > kernel not the whole system.
> >

> > Cheers.
>
> Please guys stop replying to this email. It is clearly a spam or a
> flamebait. Try to avoid (unnecessary) flames

well, while the original mail was disturbing most of the reply have been fun
to read (some even instructive), so may be this time it was worth an exception
and feeding the troll :-)

Old 01-22-2012, 12:22 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Saturday 21 January 2012 13:01:26 . wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
>
> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.
> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix
> system. You are actually ruining this goal.
>
> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.

meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
-mike

Old 01-23-2012, 02:22 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 21:01 Sat 21 Jan , . wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
>
> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.
> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> You are actually ruining this goal.
>
> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.

Hi,

You should be using the Gentoo derivative Utoto GNU/Linux [1], which
consists entirely of FSF-approved free software.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ututo

--
Thanks,
Donnie