Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM
"."

Default Free Gentoo

Hello there!

Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?

I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
the main tree.
The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
You are actually ruining this goal.

I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
not the whole system.

Cheers.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:09 PM
JD Horelick

On 21 January 2012 13:01, . <ivdwut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
>
> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.
> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> You are actually ruining this goal.
>
> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.
>

> Cheers.

To your first comment, I believe you can put:

ACCEPT_LICENSES="@FSF-APPROVED"

in your /etc/make.conf and with that, portage will only allow you to
install software with a license approved by the FSF.

As for your second comment.....No comment. :P

Old 01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Ciaran McCreesh

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 21:01:26 +0300
"." <ivdwut@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?
>
> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.
> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix
> system. You are actually ruining this goal.

Why yes! Gentoo has been working closely with the FSF to add support
for "Digital Freedom Management" hardware. Soon you will be able to buy
a processor with special firmware ensuring that only FSF-licenced code
will be permitted to execute, and that only free data can be loaded;
Gentoo has signed up to this program, and has plans to ship a
DFM-enabled release as soon as some minor kinks are worked out:

* it turns out that some of Gentoo's core components are distributed
under licences which don't forbid users from owning software patents
-- we're working on rewrites that allow us to enforce this freedom.

* we're not sure whether the Linux kernel meets the FSF's strict
freedom requirements. Unfortunately, we have a few minor hardware
incompatibilities with Hurd that we've not yet worked out.

The Gentoo Foundation is also using some of its funds to lobby the USA
and the EU for mandatory DFM support in all new hardware, thus ensuring
that freedom hating terrorists can't choose not to have freedom enforced
upon them.

> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.

Good news on that front too. Gentoo Linux will be renamed to
GNU/FDO/IBM/Oracle/Mozilla/KDE/Gnome/Linux as soon as we make sure we
haven't left anyone out.

--
Ciaran McCreesh

Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 PM
Mart Raudsepp

Hello,

On L, 2012-01-21 at 21:01 +0300, . wrote:
> Hello there!
>
> Is there a chance that Gentoo may become a free distro?

You have all the tools available to only install FSF approved licensed
packages through the ACCEPT_LICENSE and related features. I'm sure
maintainers don't mind fixing license tags based on bug reports if some
are incorrect at places.
A Gentoo based distribution called Ututo GNU/Linux may be of interest to
you.

> I'm so unhappy with the fact that there are some non-free packages in
> the main tree.

Some of us need to get actual work done, and doing so without being
seriously impeded may require non-free software, or for even being able
to use their hardware.
Not all people are so radically viewed - meanwhile we provide the means
to achieve what you need per the above mentioned ACCEPT_LICENSE stuff.

> The main goal of the GNU project was to replace the proprietary Unix system.
> You are actually ruining this goal.

We are not paid by the FSF to achieve its goals. We are volunteers
getting our stuff done, developing a distribution to fit our needs and
minding our own business.

> I'm also dissatisfied with the name of the distro. Linux is the kernel
> not the whole system.

Feel free to go discuss that on the gentoo-users mailing list or the
forums. Here we'd like to get work done, and many of us want to be able
to easily use and configure open source and free software, not spend
hours on discussing and fighting about open source beliefs versus more
radical free software philosophies. We provide the means, and e.g Ututo
distribution and thousands of Gentoo users make use of it.

Best Regards,
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Linux developer, GNOME team

Old 01-21-2012, 05:27 PM
Alexandre Rostovtsev

On Sat, 2012-01-21 at 13:09 -0500, JD Horelick wrote:
> To your first comment, I believe you can put:
>
> ACCEPT_LICENSES="@FSF-APPROVED"
>
> in your /etc/make.conf and with that, portage will only allow you to
> install software with a license approved by the FSF.

It's ACCEPT_LICENSE (singular). Users who want only free/libre software
and documentation should probably set

ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"

to allow the FSF- and OSI-approved licenses and other miscellaneous
licenses meeting the free definition, and deny everything else; see
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=2&chap=1

-Alexandre.