Old 01-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Johannes Huber

Default Last rites: media-libs/phonon-xine

# Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (1 Dec 2011)
# edit: Johannes Huber <johu@gentoo.org> (16 Jan 2012)
# Masked for removal in 15 days. phonon xine backend is unmaintained.
# Upstream declared it as dead. Use vlc or gstreamer backend instead.
# Bugs #359979, #397585
media-libs/phonon-xine
--
Johannes Huber (johu)
Gentoo Linux Developer / KDE Team

Old 01-17-2012, 05:55 AM
Duncan

Johannes Huber posted on Tue, 17 Jan 2012 00:23:25 +0100 as excerpted:

> # Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (1 Dec 2011)
> # edit: Johannes Huber <johu@gentoo.org> (16 Jan 2012)
> # Masked for removal in 15 days. phonon xine backend is unmaintained.
> # Upstream declared it as dead. Use vlc or gstreamer backend instead.
> # Bugs #359979, #397585 media-libs/phonon-xine

Just noting should anyone wonder at the 15 days, this package has been
masked since (apparently) the first of December, just not last-rited.
Additionally, it has been causing various problems for quite some time
before that, and on the kde lists I've been recommending one of the other
two backends for well over a year, now.

So hopefully this will get anyone who's still on it to switch to
something else rather better, and this thing can be put to rest.