Old 01-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Ryan Hill

Default GCC 4.6 status

A bunch of users have been emailing me asking when 4.6 will be unmasked. I
really want to get it out the door already but we have a (IMO) substantial
blocker. A small number of users have reported that grub built with 4.6
fails to boot their systems. See the last half of bug #360513 for details.
That report is actually two bugs, the first one had to do with .text.unlikely
sections and was easy to reproduce without boot failures so I was able to
accidentally fix it. The second I cannot reproduce and cannot get anyone
brave and dumb enough to break their systems in the name of science for me.
Several people have promised to go do some testing and have never been heard
from again. Whether that is disappointing or ominous is left up to you.

My current plan is to wait until someone smarter than me points out the
obvious solution. Barring that, I'll be out of the country in a couple weeks
and will unmask it when I get back. There should be several willing testers
shortly after that.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/360513

--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime