Old 01-04-2012, 12:18 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

Default Exorcising a d(a)emon from GNOME's past (aka EsounD Last Rites)

Hi folks,

Today, I was shocked to find that the EsounD daemon is still in the
tree and new ebuilds are actually still pulling it in under USE=esd!

Proposal: package.mask media-sound/esound, use.mask USE=esd. Anything
that still uses it should stop using it. Anything that /needs it/
should be purged from the tree with extreme prejudice[1].

I'll do the first two today, and the rest of the rituals necessary to
complete the exorcism will take a month. Help in this regard is
welcome since the job is rather straightforward.

Thanks!

1. In exceptional cases, a dependency on pulseaudio will also suffice
since pulseaudio emulates an esound socket while running with
`module-protocol-esound-unix` loaded, which is the default.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team