Old 12-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Thomas Beierlein

Default rfc: news item for app-backup/bacula

Title: Bacula-5.2.3 Upgrade
Author: Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: "<app-backup/bacula-5.2.0"

The 5.2.x release series of Bacula uses a new database catalog format.
If you're upgrading from a 3.x.x or 5.0.x release, you must upgrade your
bacula catalog database.

Please read the manual chapter for how to upgrade your database. You
can find database upgrade scripts in /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/.

It is strongly recommended that you save a copy of your existing
database before upgrading.

The simplest way to upgrade the database:

1. Stop Bacula from running (at least director and storage daemon).
2. Save a copy of your existing database.
3. Emerge new version of Bacula.
4. Run the appropriate upgrade script from /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/.
7. Start the new Bacula.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Michał Górny

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:56:33 +0100
Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:

> The 5.2.x release series of Bacula uses a new database catalog format.
^^^ use (singular)
> If you're upgrading from a 3.x.x or 5.0.x release, you must upgrade
> your bacula catalog database.
>
> Please read the manual chapter for how to upgrade your database.

Link would be useful.

> You
> can find database upgrade scripts in /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/.
>
> It is strongly recommended that you save a copy of your existing
> database before upgrading.

More details or even a script to do that would be great for users.

> The simplest way to upgrade the database:
>
> 1. Stop Bacula from running (at least director and storage daemon).
^ the ^-s
> 2. Save a copy of your existing database.
> 3. Emerge new version of Bacula.
^ (probably) the
> 4. Run the appropriate upgrade script
> from /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/.
> 7. Start the new Bacula.

It saved us two steps!

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 12-30-2011, 08:43 AM
Thomas Beierlein

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:11:58 +0100
Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:56:33 +0100
> Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > It is strongly recommended that you save a copy of your existing
> > database before upgrading.
>
> More details or even a script to do that would be great for users.

Not as easy as it depends on users decision to use mysql, sqlite or
postgresql. But added a hint to look into database documentation (see
revised attachment).

The other minor corrections got also applied. Thanks.

Thomas.

--
Title: Bacula-5.2.3 Upgrade
Author: Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org>
Revision: 2
News-Item-Format: 1.0
Display-If-Installed: "<app-backup/bacula-5.2.0"

The 5.2.x release series of Bacula use a new database catalog format.
If you're upgrading from a 3.x.x or 5.0.x release, you must upgrade your
bacula catalog database.

Please read the manual chapter for how to upgrade your database (see
http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Installing_Bacula.html).
You can find database upgrade scripts in /usr/libexec/bacula/(updatedb/).

It is strongly recommended that you save a copy of your existing database
before upgrading. For details how to do it please look into your database
documentation.

The simplest way to upgrade the database:

1. Stop Bacula from running (at least the director and storage daemons).
2. Save a copy of your existing database.
3. Emerge the new version of Bacula.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:44 AM
Michał Górny

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:43:31 +0100
Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:

> 4. Run the appropriate upgrade script
> from /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/.
> 7. Start the new Bacula.

You still miss steps 5 and 6 ;P.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny

Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Thomas Beierlein

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:44:23 +0100
Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:43:31 +0100
> Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > 4. Run the appropriate upgrade script
> > from /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/.
> > 7. Start the new Bacula.
>
> You still miss steps 5 and 6 ;P.

Oh, oh. Now I read your last line from former mail right. Corrected,
thanks again.

Thomas

--
Title: Bacula-5.2.3 Upgrade
Author: Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org>
Revision: 3
[...]

5. Start the new Bacula.

Old 12-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Jonathan Callen

On 12/30/2011 06:09 AM, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:44:23 +0100 Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 10:43:31 +0100 Thomas Beierlein
>> <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 4. Run the appropriate upgrade script from
>>> /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/. 7. Start the new Bacula.
>>
>> You still miss steps 5 and 6 ;P.
>>

> Oh, oh. Now I read your last line from former mail right.
> Corrected, thanks again.
>
> Thomas
>
> Title: Bacula-5.2.3 Upgrade Author: Thomas Beierlein
> <tomjbe@gentoo.org> Content-Type: text/plain Posted: 2011-12-30
> Revision: 3
This should remain as Revision: 1 until actually committed to svn.

> News-Item-Format: 1.0 Display-If-Installed:
> "<app-backup/bacula-5.2.0"
You need to drop the quotes here.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:51 AM
Thomas Beierlein

On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:02:09 -0500
Jonathan Callen <abcd@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 12/30/2011 06:09 AM, Thomas Beierlein wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 11:44:23 +0100 Michał Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org>
> > wrote:

> >> You still miss steps 5 and 6 ;P.
> >>

> > Oh, oh. Now I read your last line from former mail right.
> > Corrected, thanks again.
> >
> > Thomas
> >
> > Title: Bacula-5.2.3 Upgrade Author: Thomas Beierlein
> > <tomjbe@gentoo.org> Content-Type: text/plain Posted: 2011-12-30
> > Revision: 3
> This should remain as Revision: 1 until actually committed to svn.

Ok, thanks. It was not so clear from reading the GLEP.

> > News-Item-Format: 1.0 Display-If-Installed:
> > "<app-backup/bacula-5.2.0"
> You need to drop the quotes here.

Done.

Regards, Thomas

> > The 5.2.x release series of Bacula use a new database catalog
> > format. If you're upgrading from a 3.x.x or 5.0.x release, you must
> > upgrade your bacula catalog database.
> >
> > Please read the manual chapter for how to upgrade your database
> > (see
> > http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Installing_Bacula.html).
> >

> You can find database upgrade scripts
> in /usr/libexec/bacula/(updatedb/).
> >
> > It is strongly recommended that you save a copy of your existing
> > database before upgrading. For details how to do it please look
> > into your database documentation.
> >
> > The simplest way to upgrade the database:
> >
> > 1. Stop Bacula from running (at least the director and storage
> > daemons). 2. Save a copy of your existing database. 3. Emerge the
> > new version of Bacula. 4. Run the appropriate upgrade script from
> > /usr/libexec/bacula/updatedb/. 5. Start the new Bacula.

- --

Old 12-31-2011, 01:56 PM
William Hubbs

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:11:58AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:56:33 +0100
> Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > The 5.2.x release series of Bacula uses a new database catalog format.
> ^^^ use (singular)

No, "uses" is correct here.

William

Old 12-31-2011, 02:54 PM
Alexandre Rostovtsev

On Sat, 2011-12-31 at 08:56 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:11:58AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:56:33 +0100
> > Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > The 5.2.x release series of Bacula uses a new database catalog format.
> > ^^^ use (singular)
>
> No, "uses" is correct here.

Right. The word "series" has the same form in both singular and plural;
in this case, it refers to a single, well-defined group of releases, so
using it as singular is correct.

See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/series#English and
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=942433

Old 01-01-2012, 06:54 PM
Thomas Beierlein

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 08:56:03 -0600
William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 10:11:58AM +0100, Michał Górny wrote:
> > On Fri, 30 Dec 2011 09:56:33 +0100
> > Thomas Beierlein <tomjbe@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > The 5.2.x release series of Bacula uses a new database catalog
> > > format.
> > ^^^ use (singular)
>
> No, "uses" is correct here.

OK. Thanks for the hint. I will change it back to 'uses'.

Thomas