Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Gaurav Saxena

Default Six month major project on Gentoo

Hello all,*
I am interested in doing my final year computer scence project on gentoo. I would be having a duration of six months to work on the project. Could you please suggest me some good project ideas that would be helpful to me as well as gentoo. I am interested in parallel computing, data structures , operating system. I am well versed in C/C++. I think* there might be projects which need to be done, I would like to work on them.

--
Thanks and Regards ,
Gaurav

Old 12-14-2011, 05:05 PM
Christian Ruppert

On Wednesday 14 December 2011 16:36:42 Gaurav Saxena wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am interested in doing my final year computer scence project on gentoo. I
> would be having a duration of six months to work on the project. Could you
> please suggest me some good project ideas that would be helpful to me as
> well as gentoo. I am interested in parallel computing, data structures ,
> operating system. I am well versed in C/C++. I think there might be
> projects which need to be done, I would like to work on them.

What about OpenRC?
We could need some help.
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/base/openrc/
#openrc or #gentoo-base (IRC) via FreeNode
Or openrc@gentoo.org.

Let me know if you're interested or need more details

Christian Ruppert
Gentoo Linux developer, Bugzilla administrator and Infrastructure member
Fingerprint: EEB1 C341 7C84 B274 6C59 F243 5EAB 0C62 B427 ABC8

Old 12-14-2011, 05:14 PM
"C. Bergström"

I am interested in doing my final year computer scence project on gentoo. I
would be having a duration of six months to work on the project. Could you
please suggest me some good project ideas that would be helpful to me as
well as gentoo. I am interested in parallel computing, data structures ,
operating system. I am well versed in C/C++. I think there might be
projects which need to be done, I would like to work on them.
Not directly gentoo, but certainly would impact all gentoo users -
toolchain/compilers/path64
There's a number of ways the compiler could be improved for better SIMD
vectorization and parallel computing
/* I'm biased and work on this project - ping me on irc if you're
interested */

./C

#pathscale

Old 12-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Alec Warner

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:06 AM, Gaurav Saxena <grvsaxena419@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am interested in doing my final year computer scence project on gentoo. I
> would be having a duration of six months to work on the project. Could you
> please suggest me some good project ideas that would be helpful to me as
> well as gentoo. I am interested in parallel computing, data structures ,
> operating system. I am well versed in C/C++. I think* there might be
> projects which need to be done, I would like to work on them.

The only idea I can think of for parallel computing / distributed
systems would be at the build level.

distcc-ng, a farm of user-controlled machines that compile your code
in a p2p fashion.
a distributed hash table of input, output tuples (basically .o caching
so users can fetch the .o from the DHT)

Both of these have *massive* trust issues. When random guys on the
internet are compiling your code you have to be very careful about how
you verify and execute that code. When you fetch .o files from a DHT
you have the same problem.

Almost every other problem I can think of at the Gentoo OS level can
fit on a meager sized machine (i.e. it is not a distributed systems
nor a parallel computing problem.)

Many of the annoying parts of Gentoo are merely tools problems; the
existing tools are poor / under-maintained or standard tools do not
exist (so users / developers roll their own.) You may have success in
the tools arena if you talk to mgorny or portage-utils@; I know mgorny
has written a few C tools and might have sufficient 'gentoo' C
libraries you could utilize; the portage-utils alias holds the
portage-utils authors (portage-utils being another set of tools
written in C for gentoo.)

I actually liked cbergstrom's idea of toolchain-type stuff; but I'm
not really sure how easy it is to on-board with those communities
(lord knows in my senior year of CS I would have been useless working
on a compiler.)

Old 12-14-2011, 08:25 PM
Leho Kraav

i'd be really happy if someone took care of https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031 :>

"include more info about binpkg in file name"

Old 12-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Alec Warner

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> wrote:
> i'd be really happy if someone took care of https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031 :>
>
> "include more info about binpkg in file name"

That is great, but its not a 6 month project...

-A

Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 14 December 2011 18:43:33 Alec Warner wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> wrote:
> > i'd be really happy if someone took care of
> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031 :>
> >
> > "include more info about binpkg in file name"
>
> That is great, but its not a 6 month project...

is it though ? i'm inclined to mark INVALID. hijacking filenames for metadata
is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea.
-mike

Old 12-15-2011, 04:39 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 December 2011 18:43:33 Alec Warner wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 PM, Leho Kraav <leho@kraav.com> wrote:
>> > i'd be really happy if someone took care of
>> > https://bugs.gentoo.org/150031 :>
>> >
>> > "include more info about binpkg in file name"
>>
>> That is great, but its not a 6 month project...
>
> is it though ? *i'm inclined to mark INVALID. *hijacking filenames for metadata
> is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea.

I agree. It's along the same lines as only using file extensions for
determining the filetype (and we all know how that turned out...). It
*does* have the advantage of being really fast, though.

Nevertheless, the basic bug is about changing the distfile repository
format in such a way that a single repo can contain several distfiles
built with differing build conditions. Putting metadata in the
filename is only one way of ensuring that.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 15 December 2011 00:39:44 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> >> That is great, but its not a 6 month project...
> >
> > is it though ? i'm inclined to mark INVALID. hijacking filenames for
> > metadata is a tuuuuuuuuuuurrible idea.
>
> I agree. It's along the same lines as only using file extensions for
> determining the filetype (and we all know how that turned out...). It
> *does* have the advantage of being really fast, though.

it just doesn't scale though (encoding all metadata into the filename quickly
hits filesystem limits on name length), and i think the speed increase is only
to a limit. once you get into larger repos, using the already existing
"Packages" file would be faster. and since that compresses, it should scale a
lot nicer.

> Nevertheless, the basic bug is about changing the distfile repository
> format in such a way that a single repo can contain several distfiles
> built with differing build conditions. Putting metadata in the
> filename is only one way of ensuring that.

sounds like the summary needs updating then by someone who has waded through
all the followup comments
-mike

Old 12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
Mike Frysinger