Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Rich Freeman

Default News Item - MythTV

I'm considering sending out this news item in a few days - comments
are welcome. It is a bit different in tone from a typical news item
but MythTV has been in not-so-great shape for a while and my goal is
to reel things in a bit and commit to something we can continue to
maintain, while soliciting help from the community.

Rich
Title: MythTV 0.24.1 Upgrade Author: Richard Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org>
News-Item-Format: 1.0 Display-If-Installed: media-tv/mythtv

As many have noticed, the Gentoo version of MythTV has been
significantly lagging the upstream version. We plan to introduce
0.24.1, which is the current upstream stable version, in the next few
days. Before going through the upgrade we wanted to make you aware of
our future plans for MythTV in Gentoo and some of your alternatives.

The Gentoo MythTV package will generally try to stay closer to upstream
than it has in the last year, but probably will only be updated a few
times per year at most. It will benefit from the full Gentoo QA
process, including introduction to ~arch followed by stabilization.
Dependencies will also be controlled in line with Gentoo QA so things
should suddenly not stop working without warning. Versions that are
stabilized will stay in the tree longer after they are superseded for
those who want to take their time with upgrades.

The versions of MythTV in Gentoo may also not support the full range of
upstream plugins.

There is an alternative for those of you who want a more bleeding-edge
experience. Upstream maintains a Gentoo overlay at:
git://github.com/MythTV/packaging.git

The upstream repository will be the first to receive updates and will
have many more intermediate versions including bugfixes. The overlay
also supports all the upstream plugins. However, it is not subject to
Gentoo QA policy - dependencies could stop working or disappear without
warning, and older versions may not be kept around. Generally speaking,
we have not heard complaints from those who use it. Any issues with the
upstream overlay should be reported to the MythTV project and not to
Gentoo bugzilla.

If you're already using the upstream overlay you shouldn't be impacted
by anything done in Portage - your versions will generally stay higher
than our own.

If we drop your favorite plugin and you want it back and are willing to
help maintain it, send us a note at mythtv@gentoo.org. If you're
willing to test it and ensure it works for everybody else, we can keep
it in the portage tree.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Peter Volkov

В Птн, 09/12/2011 в 20:38 -0500, Rich Freeman пишет:
> I'm considering sending out this news item in a few days - comments
> are welcome. It is a bit different in tone from a typical news item
> but MythTV has been in not-so-great shape for a while and my goal is
> to reel things in a bit and commit to something we can continue to
> maintain, while soliciting help from the community.

This does not look like a news item, but more like a project status
update or blog post. Probably it's much better to create webpage (or
news item) on www.gentoo.org and add elog/ewarn to point there. Once
mythtv team changes this information may change, but all users will see
it anyway.

--
Peter.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:45 AM
Donnie Berkholz

On 21:03 Mon 12 Dec , Peter Volkov wrote:
> В Птн, 09/12/2011 в 20:38 -0500, Rich Freeman пишет:
> > I'm considering sending out this news item in a few days - comments
> > are welcome. It is a bit different in tone from a typical news item
> > but MythTV has been in not-so-great shape for a while and my goal is
> > to reel things in a bit and commit to something we can continue to
> > maintain, while soliciting help from the community.
>
> This does not look like a news item, but more like a project status
> update or blog post. Probably it's much better to create webpage (or
> news item) on www.gentoo.org and add elog/ewarn to point there. Once
> mythtv team changes this information may change, but all users will see
> it anyway.

I like it fine as a GLEP42 news item, I hate it as a news item on the
homepage for sure. Seems to me that pointing to the website for
plaintext docs like this is kinda defeating the point of these news
items. It's certainly more news rather than a long-term useful document,
because at some point the change will happen, and then things are just
the way they are.

--
Thanks,
Donnie