FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 12:58:06 +0100
Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn <chithanh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I too think it is sufficient to have
> LC_MESSAGES=C
> in the default make.conf (or somewhere else where the user can easily
> change it), with a comment to leave it like this for build.log when
> reporting bugs.

Now that I wouldn't mind.


--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
@ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
 
Old 12-04-2011, 01:09 PM
James Broadhead
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

On 4 December 2011 06:51, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100
> Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have
>> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for both
>> bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane alternative
>> that every developer should be able to read.
>
> How many times have you needed to request build logs in english since the last
> time you brought this up? *How many times have you had to request emerge
> --info or build logs in general?

Surely this can be automated?

"Error - Bug not filed!
No emerge --info attachment detected. Either tag one of your
attachments as `emerge --info`, or upload one"

> I think adding a note to bugzilla reminding reporters that logs need to be in
> english would be a better solution than forcing it on everyone.

Again, automation should be moderately easy to achieve. Having bugzie
grep for "Error" / "Warning" in the top ten non-English languages
should be enough. On a positive, reject the output with a popup
explaining how to get an English version.


Am I wrong, or is LC_MESSAGES=C a non-UTF-8 locale? Why is this
considered a good idea? Why not en-UTF-8?
 
Old 12-04-2011, 01:26 PM
Michał Górny
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 14:09:03 +0000
James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4 December 2011 06:51, Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, 4 Dec 2011 04:50:00 +0100
> > Jeroen Roovers <jer@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Subject says it all. More and more bug attachments appear that have
> >> been generated with non-English locales, and it's a nuisance for
> >> both bug reporters and bug wranglers to request/provide the sane
> >> alternative that every developer should be able to read.
> >
> > How many times have you needed to request build logs in english
> > since the last time you brought this up? *How many times have you
> > had to request emerge --info or build logs in general?
>
> Surely this can be automated?
>
> "Error - Bug not filed!
> No emerge --info attachment detected. Either tag one of your
> attachments as `emerge --info`, or upload one"

It can't. Not all bugs are build failures. Not in all cases 'emerge
--info' is relevant at all.

> > I think adding a note to bugzilla reminding reporters that logs
> > need to be in english would be a better solution than forcing it on
> > everyone.
>
> Am I wrong, or is LC_MESSAGES=C a non-UTF-8 locale? Why is this
> considered a good idea? Why not en-UTF-8?

Because not all systems are required to be built with utf8 locale.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
 
Old 12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
James Cloos
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

As someone who leaves root w/o LANG, I would note that there are a few
packages which cannot build unless LANG is set to a UTF-8 locale.

What we really need is C.UTF-8 and/or POSIX.UTF-8, and to force *that*
in emerge(1), ebuild(1), etc.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <cloos@jhcloos.com> OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6
 
Old 12-04-2011, 05:54 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

On Sunday 04 December 2011 12:37:15 James Cloos wrote:
> As someone who leaves root w/o LANG, I would note that there are a few
> packages which cannot build unless LANG is set to a UTF-8 locale.

file a bug then

> What we really need is C.UTF-8 and/or POSIX.UTF-8, and to force *that*
> in emerge(1), ebuild(1), etc.

no. it'll break systems that don't have UTF8 support.
-mike
 
Old 12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Zac Medico
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

On 12/04/2011 03:58 AM, Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Mike Frysinger schrieb:
>> and in reality, you're complaining only about LC_MESSAGES, not LC_ALL or any
>> other locale category ...
>
> I too think it is sufficient to have
> LC_MESSAGES=C
> in the default make.conf (or somewhere else where the user can easily
> change it), with a comment to leave it like this for build.log when
> reporting bugs.

If we want it to go in the default make.conf, it would go in catalyst,
since that's what generates the default make.conf for stage builds.

We can get an equivalent result by putting it in make.defaults of the
base profile, and adding a note to the handbook and/or localization guide.
--
Thanks,
Zac
 
Old 12-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default So now that we have --quiet-build as default, can we talk about a forced LC_ALL=C again?

On Sunday 04 December 2011 06:58:06 Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Mike Frysinger schrieb:
> > and in reality, you're complaining only about LC_MESSAGES, not LC_ALL or
> > any other locale category ...
>
> I too think it is sufficient to have
> LC_MESSAGES=C
> in the default make.conf (or somewhere else where the user can easily
> change it), with a comment to leave it like this for build.log when
> reporting bugs.

this would allow a small # of bugs to creep into our system (some packages run
programs and then grep the output for english strings and miss setting
LC_{MESSAGES,ALL} to C first), but that might easily be smaller than the burden
placed on bug-wranglers ...

i'm indifferent to setting LC_MESSAGES=C in the default make.conf (i.e. via
catalyst). i don't think it should be in the profile's make.defaults.
-mike
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:51 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org