FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 12-03-2011, 05:36 AM
Danishka Navin
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

Is that true the minimum memory required to install Fedora is depend on the anaconda?

The Fedora LiveCD/LiveDVD have only GUI based installer. Can we have an alternative which reduce the minimum memory required to install Fedora?



Fedora 15 need at least 640MB but it would be grate if we can reduce this to 400 level.
--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com


http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/







_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM
John Reiser
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

On 12/02/2011 10:36 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:
> Is that true the minimum memory required to install Fedora is depend on the anaconda?

True, at least for the non-Live install DVD of both currently-supported versions
(Fedora 15 and 16.)

>
> The Fedora LiveCD/LiveDVD have only GUI based installer. Can we have an alternative which reduce the minimum memory required to install Fedora?

Installing from a Live spin currently is much different than installing
from the non-Live install DVD.

>
> Fedora 15 need at least 640MB but it would be grate if we can reduce this to 400 level.

I made a non-Live DVD of Fedora 16 using the "treebuilder" branch of anaconda
which is [will become] a feature of Fedora 17. It successfully installed
using 318MB of RAM (256MB + 64MB - 2MB), in elapsed wall-clock time
of about 45 minutes, which is 80% longer than the 25 minutes that I see
when I use 1GB. I tried using 250MB of RAM, but gave up after an hour
because it was less than half way through the 1200 packages of default
Graphical Desktop.

--

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2011, 03:35 PM
Will Woods
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 06:10 -0800, John Reiser wrote:

> I made a non-Live DVD of Fedora 16 using the "treebuilder" branch of anaconda
> which is [will become] a feature of Fedora 17. It successfully installed
> using 318MB of RAM (256MB + 64MB - 2MB), in elapsed wall-clock time
> of about 45 minutes, which is 80% longer than the 25 minutes that I see
> when I use 1GB. I tried using 250MB of RAM, but gave up after an hour
> because it was less than half way through the 1200 packages of default
> Graphical Desktop.

Interesting data; thanks for testing this. Was that 32-bit or 64-bit?
Graphical/vnc/text?

We should probably fix the enforced memory requirements accordingly.
256MB sounds like a good place for a minimum? Or, at least, a
strongly-worded warning?

-w

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-05-2011, 03:59 PM
John Reiser
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

On 12/05/2011 08:35 AM, Will Woods wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-12-03 at 06:10 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
>
>> I made a non-Live DVD of Fedora 16 using the "treebuilder" branch of anaconda
>> which is [will become] a feature of Fedora 17. It successfully installed
>> using 318MB of RAM (256MB + 64MB - 2MB), in elapsed wall-clock time
>> of about 45 minutes, which is 80% longer than the 25 minutes that I see
>> when I use 1GB. I tried using 250MB of RAM, but gave up after an hour
>> because it was less than half way through the 1200 packages of default
>> Graphical Desktop.
>
> Interesting data; thanks for testing this. Was that 32-bit or 64-bit?
> Graphical/vnc/text?

64-bit, default graphical anaconda.

>
> We should probably fix the enforced memory requirements accordingly.
> 256MB sounds like a good place for a minimum? Or, at least, a
> strongly-worded warning?

At 250MB it's obviously page-thrashing. Testing to see if it actually
finishes is drudgery, yet it's important to observe the details
of any failure.

The motivation for such low memory is old laptops (thus subtracting
a couple MB for video frame buffer in main RAM) and old servers, or
perhaps new virtualized servers.

--

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 AM
Danishka Navin
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

Hi John,

On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM, John Reiser <jreiser@bitwagon.com> wrote:


On 12/02/2011 10:36 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:

> Is that true the minimum memory required to install Fedora is depend on the anaconda?



True, at least for the non-Live install DVD of both currently-supported versions

(Fedora 15 and 16.)



>

> The Fedora LiveCD/LiveDVD have only GUI based installer. Can we have an alternative which reduce the minimum memory required to install Fedora?



Installing from a Live spin currently is much different than installing

from the non-Live install DVD.



>

> Fedora 15 need at least 640MB but it would be grate if we can reduce this to 400 level.



I made a non-Live DVD of Fedora 16 using the "treebuilder" branch of anaconda

which is [will become] a feature of Fedora 17. *It successfully installed

using 318MB of RAM (256MB + 64MB - 2MB), in elapsed wall-clock time

of about 45 minutes, which is 80% longer than the 25 minutes that I see

when I use 1GB. *I tried using 250MB of RAM, but gave up after an hour

because it was less than half way through the 1200 packages of default

Graphical Desktop.



Could you please share your kickstart files with me


--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com


http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/







_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-06-2011, 04:44 AM
John Reiser
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

On 12/05/2011 07:23 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM, John Reiser wrote:

> I made a non-Live DVD of Fedora 16 using the "treebuilder" branch of anaconda
> which is [will become] a feature of Fedora 17. It successfully installed
> using 318MB of RAM (256MB + 64MB - 2MB), in elapsed wall-clock time
> of about 45 minutes, which is 80% longer than the 25 minutes that I see
> when I use 1GB. I tried using 250MB of RAM, but gave up after an hour
> because it was less than half way through the 1200 packages of default
> Graphical Desktop.

> Could you please share your kickstart files with me

I start with /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-fedora.ks from the
package fedora-kickstarts (previously called spin-kickstarts.)
I comment-out all the @Languages to save about 1GB of space on the platter
and many minutes of time, and I adjust the repo(s) according to the state
of the release (rawhide, branched, beta, final); see
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=755678

So at the moment I would use the repos fedora-16 and fedora-16-updates
as described in your /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo. The .ks file would have:
repo --name=fedora-16 --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch --exclude kernel*debug* --exclude kernel-kdump* --exclude syslog-ng --exclude java-1.5.0-gcj-devel --exclude astronomy-bookmarks --exclude generic* --exclude
java-1.5.0-gcj-javadoc --exclude btanks* --exclude GConf2-dbus* --exclude bluez-gnome
repo --name=fedora-16-updates --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch --exclude kernel*debug* --exclude kernel-kdump* --exclude syslog-ng --exclude java-1.5.0-gcj-devel --exclude astronomy-bookmarks --exclude generic* --exclude
java-1.5.0-gcj-javadoc --exclude btanks* --exclude GConf2-dbus* --exclude bluez-gnome

Then I invoke pungi via:
DESTIDR=/path/to/existing/destination/directory
VERSION=16
export ARCH=x86_64
rm -rf $DESTDIR/work/$ARCH
rm -rf $DESTDIR/$VERSION/$ARCH
export LC_ALL=C
sudo setenforce 0
pungi -c fedora-install-fedora.ks --destdir=$DESTDIR --name Fedora --ver $VERSION --nosource

Remember to build and install the treebuilder code from lorax before running pungi.
See also http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_Fedora_install_ISO_for_testing .

--

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-06-2011, 05:01 AM
Danishka Navin
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:14 AM, John Reiser <jreiser@bitwagon.com> wrote:


On 12/05/2011 07:23 PM, Danishka Navin wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 3, 2011 at 7:40 PM, John Reiser wrote:



> * * I made a non-Live DVD of Fedora 16 using the "treebuilder" branch of anaconda

> * * which is [will become] a feature of Fedora 17. *It successfully installed

> * * using 318MB of RAM (256MB + 64MB - 2MB), in elapsed wall-clock time

> * * of about 45 minutes, which is 80% longer than the 25 minutes that I see

> * * when I use 1GB. *I tried using 250MB of RAM, but gave up after an hour

> * * because it was less than half way through the 1200 packages of default

> * * Graphical Desktop.



> Could you please share your kickstart files with me



I start with /usr/share/spin-kickstarts/fedora-install-fedora.ks from the

package fedora-kickstarts (previously called spin-kickstarts.)

I comment-out all the @Languages to save about 1GB of space on the platter

and many minutes of time, and I adjust the repo(s) according to the state

of the release (rawhide, branched, beta, final); see

*https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=755678



So at the moment I would use the repos fedora-16 and fedora-16-updates

as described in your /etc/yum.repos.d/*.repo. *The .ks file would have:

repo --name=fedora-16 * * * * --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=fedora-$releasever&arch=$basearch * * * * * *--exclude kernel*debug* --exclude kernel-kdump* --exclude syslog-ng --exclude java-1.5.0-gcj-devel --exclude astronomy-bookmarks --exclude generic* --exclude



java-1.5.0-gcj-javadoc --exclude btanks* --exclude GConf2-dbus* --exclude bluez-gnome

repo --name=fedora-16-updates --mirrorlist=https://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/metalink?repo=updates-released-f$releasever&arch=$basearch --exclude kernel*debug* --exclude kernel-kdump* --exclude syslog-ng --exclude java-1.5.0-gcj-devel --exclude astronomy-bookmarks --exclude generic* --exclude



java-1.5.0-gcj-javadoc --exclude btanks* --exclude GConf2-dbus* --exclude bluez-gnome



Then I invoke pungi via:

*DESTIDR=/path/to/existing/destination/directory

*VERSION=16

*export ARCH=x86_64

*rm -rf $DESTDIR/work/$ARCH

*rm -rf $DESTDIR/$VERSION/$ARCH

*export LC_ALL=C

*sudo setenforce 0

*pungi -c fedora-install-fedora.ks --destdir=$DESTDIR --name Fedora --ver $VERSION --nosource



Remember to build and install the treebuilder code from lorax before running pungi.

See also *http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_a_Fedora_install_ISO_for_testing .



--




what release you have used? Fedora 16 or 17?

--
Danishka Navin
http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com


http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/







_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-06-2011, 04:39 PM
John Reiser
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

> Remember to build and install the treebuilder code from lorax before running pungi.
Also, pungi must invoke lorax instead of buildinstall, so you might
need to update pungi or edit /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pypungi/__init__.py.
Another nit: There is [was] a disagreement over the spelling of the command-
line option for "version".

> what release you have used? Fedora 16 or 17?
My experiment and the data I reported were done near the end of
Fedora 16 beta, so I used the fedora-16-branched repo.
A couple days ago I built such a non-Live DVD using rawhide for Fedora 17,
but not tested the DVD yet.

--

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-06-2011, 10:46 PM
John Reiser
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

> A couple days ago I built such a non-Live DVD using rawhide for Fedora 17,
> but not tested the DVD yet.

anaconda-17.2 aborts early with "ImportError: no module named "errors"
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=760786

--

_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 
Old 12-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Danishka Navin
 
Default Fedora's minimum RAM Vs Anaconda

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 5:16 AM, John Reiser <jreiser@bitwagon.com> wrote:


> A couple days ago I built such a non-Live DVD using rawhide for Fedora 17,

> but not tested the DVD yet.



anaconda-17.2 aborts early with "ImportError: no module named "errors"

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=760786






I have build a Fedora remix as a LiveDVD and now I want to do the same as an installation DVD.
Can we use costume boot flash, changed logos on anaconda, adding of rpmfusion packages by default?



i have added several packages which not exists in fedora repos.

I want to add selected language-support by default like we can see printing services added by default
*


--
Danishka Navin


http://danishkanavin.blogspot.com
http://twitter.com/danishkanavin
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danishkanavin/







_______________________________________________
Anaconda-devel-list mailing list
Anaconda-devel-list@redhat.com
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/anaconda-devel-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:40 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org