Old 11-24-2011, 07:12 PM
Samuli Suominen

Default New herd: ayatana

On 11/24/2011 10:10 PM, Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Samuli Suominen schrieb:
>> we have a new herd called ayatana (i'm currently the only member, but
>> anyone intrested is free to join)
>>
>> it's aimed at maintaining the ubuntu -invented libraries many apps tend
>> to use thesedays:
>
> Very nice. I have been working on some ubuntuone and unity ebuilds, if
> you don't mind I will commit them to portage with ayatana herd and join
> it myself.
>

> Best regards,
> Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn

more the merrier. just added ayatana to herds.xml, feel free to add
yourself there. thanks

Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 11/24/2011 08:57 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> we have a new herd called ayatana (i'm currently the only member, but
> anyone intrested is free to join)
>
> it's aimed at maintaining the ubuntu -invented libraries many apps tend
> to use thesedays:
>
> $ grep -r "herd.*ayatana" */*/metadata.xml
> dev-libs/libappindicator/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> dev-libs/libdbusmenu/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> dev-libs/libindicate/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> dev-libs/libindicate-qt/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> dev-libs/libindicator/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> gnome-extra/indicator-applet/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> net-im/indicator-messages/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> x11-misc/notify-osd/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
> xfce-extra/xfce4-indicator-plugin/metadata.xml: <herd>ayatana</herd>
>
> and perhaps x11-misc/glipper
>
> summary:
>
> - keep all the libs and apps using them in sync, since upstream changes
> API so often, when you bump one library, you have to bump or patch them all
>
> - ditch gtk+-2.0 and move all libraries to gtk+-3.0, this will likely
> mean lastriting indicator-applet and glipper
>
> - add more of the project into portage after gtk+-3.0 migration is done:
>
> https://launchpad.net/ayatana
>

> note: i'm going to be superbusy with work up until x-mas so don't expect
> much to happen "too soon"

forgot to add the following disclaimer:

I don't want this to become an unmaintainable spagetti, so I prefer we
keep this as non invasive as possible. So if Ubuntu has patched GTK+ or
Qt toolkits with huge patch that upstream's don't want, then we don't
want it either.