Old 11-14-2011, 07:03 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On Monday 14 November 2011 14:00:01 Mike Gilbert wrote:
> On 11/13/2011 11:37 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Sunday 13 November 2011 16:42:39 Mike Gilbert wrote:
> >> If I understand you correctly, you are just going to add a "cxx" use
> >> flag to gcc for some transitional period? If so, I can simply switch it
> >> at some point after you add the new flag?
> >
> > transition period:
> > http://sources.gentoo.org/www-client/google-chrome/google-chrome-17.0.932
> > .0_alpha108826.ebuild?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
> >
> > eventually you can drop the [-nocxx] dep, but it'll prob be a while.
>
> Why do I need the [-nocxx] dep at this point? Everybody is going to end
> up rebuilding gcc with the new use flag anyway.

some people might, but not everyone. if we remove the [-nocxx], and someone
where to run `emerge google-chrome -u`, portage would fail with dependency
errors. i'd leave the dep in there for a while until most people have
upgraded naturally. perhaps after the next gcc stabilization.
-mike

Old 11-14-2011, 07:42 PM
Mike Gilbert

On 11/14/2011 3:03 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 14 November 2011 14:00:01 Mike Gilbert wrote:
>>>
>>> transition period:
>>> http://sources.gentoo.org/www-client/google-chrome/google-chrome-17.0.932
>>> .0_alpha108826.ebuild?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
>>>
>>> eventually you can drop the [-nocxx] dep, but it'll prob be a while.
>>
>> Why do I need the [-nocxx] dep at this point? Everybody is going to end
>> up rebuilding gcc with the new use flag anyway.
>
> some people might, but not everyone. if we remove the [-nocxx], and someone
> where to run `emerge google-chrome -u`, portage would fail with dependency
> errors.

Actually, it pulls in gcc[cxx], and rebuilds gcc. There is no dependency
error. We can prevent an unnecessary gcc rebuild by listing [-nocxx]
first however, so I committed that.