FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

now that we have USE=cxx, and base/make.defaults has USE=cxx, i'd like to
migrate gcc away from USE=nocxx.

since this can be a pickle, i'd propose toolchain.eclass grow the checks:
- use cxx && use nocxx && die
- use !cxx && use !nocxx && die

this way when i do cut over from USE=nocxx to USE=cxx, we don't end up with
users missing C++ compilers simply because they have old make.conf settings
that started out with:
USE="-* ..."

there are other ebuilds in the tree now that have USE=nocxx, but i'll take
care of converting them.
-mike
 
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Mike Gilbert
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On 11/13/2011 01:42 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> now that we have USE=cxx, and base/make.defaults has USE=cxx, i'd like to
> migrate gcc away from USE=nocxx.
>
> since this can be a pickle, i'd propose toolchain.eclass grow the checks:
> - use cxx && use nocxx && die
> - use !cxx && use !nocxx && die
>
> this way when i do cut over from USE=nocxx to USE=cxx, we don't end up with
> users missing C++ compilers simply because they have old make.conf settings
> that started out with:
> USE="-* ..."
>
> there are other ebuilds in the tree now that have USE=nocxx, but i'll take
> care of converting them.
> -mike

www-client/google-chrome has RDEPEND=">=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0[-nocxx]" to
ensure that we have a recent version of libstdc++. We basically need to
match Ubuntu LTS since that is what Google builds with.

If I understand you correctly, you are just going to add a "cxx" use
flag to gcc for some transitional period? If so, I can simply switch it
at some point after you add the new flag?
 
Old 11-14-2011, 02:49 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:42:39 -0500
Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> wrote:

> www-client/google-chrome has RDEPEND=">=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0[-nocxx]" to
> ensure that we have a recent version of libstdc++. We basically need to
> match Ubuntu LTS since that is what Google builds with.

Ewwww.


--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
@ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
 
Old 11-14-2011, 03:37 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On Sunday 13 November 2011 16:42:39 Mike Gilbert wrote:
> If I understand you correctly, you are just going to add a "cxx" use
> flag to gcc for some transitional period? If so, I can simply switch it
> at some point after you add the new flag?

transition period:
http://sources.gentoo.org/www-client/google-chrome/google-chrome-17.0.932.0_alpha108826.ebuild?r1=1.1&r2=1.2

eventually you can drop the [-nocxx] dep, but it'll prob be a while.
-mike
 
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Mike Gilbert
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On 11/13/2011 10:49 PM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Nov 2011 16:42:39 -0500
> Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> www-client/google-chrome has RDEPEND=">=sys-devel/gcc-4.4.0[-nocxx]" to
>> ensure that we have a recent version of libstdc++. We basically need to
>> match Ubuntu LTS since that is what Google builds with.
>
> Ewwww.
>
>

Thank you for that constructive criticism. It is a bit ugly.
 
Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On Sunday 13 November 2011 13:42:43 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> now that we have USE=cxx, and base/make.defaults has USE=cxx, i'd like to
> migrate gcc away from USE=nocxx.

http://sources.gentoo.org/eclass/toolchain.eclass?r1=1.478&r2=1.479
-mike
 
Old 11-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Mike Gilbert
 
Default conversion of USE=nocxx to USE=cxx

On 11/13/2011 11:37 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 13 November 2011 16:42:39 Mike Gilbert wrote:
>> If I understand you correctly, you are just going to add a "cxx" use
>> flag to gcc for some transitional period? If so, I can simply switch it
>> at some point after you add the new flag?
>
> transition period:
> http://sources.gentoo.org/www-client/google-chrome/google-chrome-17.0.932.0_alpha108826.ebuild?r1=1.1&r2=1.2
>
> eventually you can drop the [-nocxx] dep, but it'll prob be a while.
> -mike

Thanks.

Why do I need the [-nocxx] dep at this point? Everybody is going to end
up rebuilding gcc with the new use flag anyway.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org