Old 11-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default rfc: openrc: use iproute2 for all network handling in linux

On Sunday 13 November 2011 13:50:25 Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Mike Frysinger schrieb:
> >>
> >> After net-tools is no longer needed for basic setups (which I understand
> >> will be still the case after the proposed changes), why should it remain
> >> in the system set?
> >
> > you snipped the following sentence where i explained why net-tools can't
> > be removed. iproute2 replaces *most* of net-tools, not *all*.
>
> And do we need *all* of net-tools for basic setups? You said that
> currently openrc uses the host and domain name tools, but iirc sysctl
> can set hostname/domainname too (note that I do not to say that using
> sysctl is preferable).

yes, host/domain names can be set through sysctl, but as you say, that isn't
exactly preferable, and brings its own set of troubles.
-mike

Old 11-14-2011, 05:10 AM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday 13 November 2011 19:57:05 Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:

> >> And do we need *all* of net-tools for basic setups? You said that
> >> currently openrc uses the host and domain name tools, but iirc sysctl
> >> can set hostname/domainname too (note that I do not to say that using
> >> sysctl is preferable).
> >
> > yes, host/domain names can be set through sysctl, but as you say, that
> > isn't exactly preferable, and brings its own set of troubles.
>
> Ok, and do you see any other parts of net-tools that are needed for
> basic setups?

not really
-mike

Old 12-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday 13 November 2011 13:50:25 Ch*-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Mike Frysinger schrieb:
> >>
> >> After net-tools is no longer needed for basic setups (which I understand
> >> will be still the case after the proposed changes), why should it remain
> >> in the system set?
> >
> > you snipped the following sentence where i explained why net-tools can't
> > be removed. iproute2 replaces *most* of net-tools, not *all*.
>
> And do we need *all* of net-tools for basic setups? You said that
> currently openrc uses the host and domain name tools, but iirc sysctl
> can set hostname/domainname too (note that I do not to say that using
> sysctl is preferable).

for Linux, we'll be transitioning the hostname init.d script to /etc/hostname
and having the rc binary reading that and calling sethostname() itself. i
think the init.d script will stick around for a while as `hostname` should be
a bit more portable than sethostname() ... at least, it'll be a safety net for
people to fallback onto.
-mike