Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 AM
Mike Frysinger

Default have portage be quiet by default

On Thursday 10 November 2011 21:11:38 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 05:56 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 November 2011 20:39:11 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> >> if you want quiet portage output, use something like --quiet when
> >> running emerge. the verbosity of the build output isn't really an
> >> issue imo.
> >
> > perhaps a more controversial question: should we make --quiet the default
>
> I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
> suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
> default for newbies.

WFM

would putting this as EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in profiles/base/make.defaults be too
hideous for people to swallow ?
-mike

Old 11-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Zac Medico

On 11/10/2011 06:59 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 21:11:38 Zac Medico wrote:
>>>
>>> perhaps a more controversial question: should we make --quiet the default
>>
>> I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
>> suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
>> default for newbies.
>
> WFM
>
> would putting this as EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in profiles/base/make.defaults be too
> hideous for people to swallow ?
> -mike

Less than sys-apps/portage-2.1.9.43 will choke on that, it's an
unrecognized option. So, we'd better just enable it by default for the
next portage release.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 11-11-2011, 02:23 AM
Zac Medico

On 11/10/2011 07:17 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 06:59 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>> I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
>>> suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
>>> default for newbies.
>>
>> WFM
>>
>> would putting this as EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in profiles/base/make.defaults be too
>> hideous for people to swallow ?
>> -mike
>
> Less than sys-apps/portage-2.1.9.43 will choke on that, it's an
> unrecognized option. So, we'd better just enable it by default for the
> next portage release.

Actually, it's been around since portage-2.1.7.5 (bug #291200). Still,
it's probably better not to set it in the profile.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 11-11-2011, 03:48 AM
Ryan Hill

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 20:56:22 -0500
Mike Frysinger <vapier@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 10 November 2011 20:39:11 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Thursday 10 November 2011 19:09:28 Luca Barbato wrote:
> > > That could be done, but I'd advise to make sure our users know that the
> > > could have a quiet/silent output from portage.
> >
> > if you want quiet portage output, use something like --quiet when running
> > emerge. the verbosity of the build output isn't really an issue imo.
>
> perhaps a more controversial question: should we make --quiet the default ?
> -mike

I really didn't like this idea until I discovered that the whole build log is
spit out on error. So yeah, cool. Too bad we lose colored output though.

If this changes then it might warrant a news item so people don't freak out.

--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime

Old 11-11-2011, 05:59 AM
Duncan

Zac Medico posted on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:11:38 -0800 as excerpted:

> I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
> suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
> default for newbies.

What's the difference in output format between --quiet, and the output
one gets with parallel portage jobs (not just MAKEOPTS but emerge-jobs,
too) turned on (my default these days)?

If it's the same as with parallel emerge-jobs, yeah, quiet emerges by
default makes sense to me.

But please do at least einfo the change, and what to do to get back to
non-quiet by default if desired. Someone mentioned a news item. I'm not
sure it warrants that, but certainly an einfo, and if a news item will
prevent needless bugs and is thought to be worth the required
bureaucracy, I've no problem with it.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Thursday 10 November 2011 22:23:57 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 07:17 PM, Zac Medico wrote:

> >> WFM
> >>
> >> would putting this as EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS in profiles/base/make.defaults
> >> be too hideous for people to swallow ?
> >
> > Less than sys-apps/portage-2.1.9.43 will choke on that, it's an
> > unrecognized option. So, we'd better just enable it by default for the
> > next portage release.
>
> Actually, it's been around since portage-2.1.7.5 (bug #291200). Still,
> it's probably better not to set it in the profile.

good point. we don't want to punish old portage users. let's enable it by
default in portage itself then. just add `elog` output to the portage ebuild
to inform users of the change ? or do we want a news item ?

what's the flag to negate the default ? --no-quiet-build ?
-mike

Old 11-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Zac Medico

On 11/11/2011 07:11 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 22:23:57 Zac Medico wrote:

>>> Less than sys-apps/portage-2.1.9.43 will choke on that, it's an
>>> unrecognized option. So, we'd better just enable it by default for the
>>> next portage release.
>>
>> Actually, it's been around since portage-2.1.7.5 (bug #291200). Still,
>> it's probably better not to set it in the profile.
>
> good point. we don't want to punish old portage users. let's enable it by
> default in portage itself then. just add `elog` output to the portage ebuild
> to inform users of the change ? or do we want a news item ?
>
> what's the flag to negate the default ? --no-quiet-build ?
> -mike

It's --quiet-build=n. I've gone ahead and enabled it for release in
portage-2.1.10.34:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=0cc174b6fc28feb26ea151d76f7 94e0ff2c2fa39

--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Zac Medico

On 11/10/2011 10:59 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Zac Medico posted on Thu, 10 Nov 2011 18:11:38 -0800 as excerpted:
>
>> I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
>> suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
>> default for newbies.
>
> What's the difference in output format between --quiet, and the output
> one gets with parallel portage jobs (not just MAKEOPTS but emerge-jobs,
> too) turned on (my default these days)?
>
> If it's the same as with parallel emerge-jobs, yeah, quiet emerges by
> default makes sense to me.

It's identical.

> But please do at least einfo the change, and what to do to get back to
> non-quiet by default if desired. Someone mentioned a news item. I'm not
> sure it warrants that, but certainly an einfo, and if a news item will
> prevent needless bugs and is thought to be worth the required
> bureaucracy, I've no problem with it.

Yeah, I think a new item is a bit too much. I'll mention it in the
ebuild ChangeLog, the RELEASE-NOTES, and I'll also trigger an elog
message when upgrading from earlier versions.
--
Thanks,
Zac

Old 11-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Friday 11 November 2011 10:50:47 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/10/2011 10:59 PM, Duncan wrote:
> > But please do at least einfo the change, and what to do to get back to
> > non-quiet by default if desired. Someone mentioned a news item. I'm not
> > sure it warrants that, but certainly an einfo, and if a news item will
> > prevent needless bugs and is thought to be worth the required
> > bureaucracy, I've no problem with it.
>
> Yeah, I think a new item is a bit too much. I'll mention it in the
> ebuild ChangeLog, the RELEASE-NOTES, and I'll also trigger an elog
> message when upgrading from earlier versions.

a note to dev-announce might be a good compromise. i think a news item too
heavy as well ...
-mike

Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 PM
Patrick Lauer

good point. we don't want to punish old portage users. let's enable it by
default in portage itself then. just add `elog` output to the portage ebuild
to inform users of the change ? or do we want a news item ?

what's the flag to negate the default ? --no-quiet-build ?
-mike

It's --quiet-build=n. I've gone ahead and enabled it for release in
portage-2.1.10.34:

http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/portage.git;a=commit;h=0cc174b6fc28feb26ea151d76f7 94e0ff2c2fa39

Lots of people in #gentoo are unhappy with it.

Most devs will be unhappy as it makes it harder to view the log while
building.

Please consider reverting it and let users set it with
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS if they want it less noisy.

Patrick