Old 11-11-2011, 12:56 AM
Mike Frysinger

Default have portage be quiet by default

On Thursday 10 November 2011 20:39:11 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 19:09:28 Luca Barbato wrote:
> > On 11/5/11 1:58 AM, Kacper Kowalik wrote:
> > > I'd like to ask that we enable verbose building by default. I have
> > > cmake-utils.eclass in mind, because it's dead easy there, but there's a
> > > lot of packages that support things like "make V=1" or "make VERBOSE=1"
> > > too.
> > >
> > > I've seen too many bugs reports today that gave me cute, colorful
> > > build.logs and almost no information about underlaying bug...
> >
> > That could be done, but I'd advise to make sure our users know that the
> > could have a quiet/silent output from portage.
>
> if you want quiet portage output, use something like --quiet when running
> emerge. the verbosity of the build output isn't really an issue imo.

perhaps a more controversial question: should we make --quiet the default ?
-mike

Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Zac Medico

On 11/10/2011 05:56 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2011 20:39:11 Mike Frysinger wrote:

>>> That could be done, but I'd advise to make sure our users know that the
>>> could have a quiet/silent output from portage.
>>
>> if you want quiet portage output, use something like --quiet when running
>> emerge. the verbosity of the build output isn't really an issue imo.
>
> perhaps a more controversial question: should we make --quiet the default ?
> -mike

I think --quiet-build would be a reasonable default, but --quiet
suppresses various warning messages that I think need to be enabled by
default for newbies.
--
Thanks,
Zac