Old 11-07-2011, 01:58 PM
Samuli Suominen

Default Time to lastrite compiz AND blender due to lack of maintainer & broken

On 11/07/2011 11:57 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
> Il giorno dom, 06/11/2011 alle 19.37 +0200, Samuli Suominen ha scritto:
>> With bug 365121 we don't really have a working compiz in Portage
>> anymore
>> for quite a while.
>
> I'm using it with USE=-dbus ... maybe just remove the USE flag for now?

I don't think that will cut it... It's not the only unhandled compiz bug
in tree[1]. Not sure why it should be given any special status, if it's
not maintained and broken, it should just be punted.

Also blender should go, since we have had nothing usable in tree for a
while[2].

[1] http://tinyurl.com/css37zx
[2] http://tinyurl.com/ckur2jz

Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
Alexandre Rostovtsev

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I don't think that will cut it... It's not the only unhandled compiz bug
> in tree[1]. Not sure why it should be given any special status, if it's
> not maintained and broken, it should just be punted.
>
> Also blender should go, since we have had nothing usable in tree for a
> while[2].
>
> [1] http://tinyurl.com/css37zx
> [2] http://tinyurl.com/ckur2jz

IMHO, punting a high-profile, widely-used package like blender is an
option of last resort. It's not something we can do if gentoo wants to
continue calling itself a major distro. As for "nothing usable in
tree", most of the bugs are about optional USE-flag controlled
features and/or the ancient 2.4x releases. Blender-2.57 with
USE=-ffmpeg builds and runs fine.

A real issue is that gentoo ships patches to improve blender security
defaults that upstream apparently does not care much about (see
http://lwn.net/Articles/452273/), and therefore these patches have to
be updated on every version bump, which increases maintenance burden
and delays getting new versions in portage - new versions that may
well contain fixes for the bugs in Samuli's list. Given the lack of
manpower for maintaining blender, perhaps replacing the patches with a
big ewarn in pkg_postinst might be a less bad longterm solution.

In any case, comment 14 of bug #382097 seems to indicate that at least
one person will be willing to maintain blender starting in January
2012.

-Alexandre.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:31 AM
Luca Barbato

With bug 365121 we don't really have a working compiz in Portage
anymore
for quite a while.

I'm using it with USE=-dbus ... maybe just remove the USE flag for now?

I don't think that will cut it... It's not the only unhandled compiz bug
in tree[1]. Not sure why it should be given any special status, if it's
not maintained and broken, it should just be punted.

Also blender should go, since we have had nothing usable in tree for a
while[2].

I'm fixing it now, sorry but I got busy and blender isn't an easy
codebase...

lu

Old 11-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Nirbheek Chauhan

On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Luca Barbato <lu_zero@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 11/7/11 3:58 PM, Samuli Suominen wrote:
>>
>> On 11/07/2011 11:57 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
>>>
>>> Il giorno dom, 06/11/2011 alle 19.37 +0200, Samuli Suominen ha scritto:
>> Also blender should go, since we have had nothing usable in tree for a
>> while[2].
>
> I'm fixing it now, sorry but I got busy and blender isn't an easy
> codebase...

Thanks for taking care of it. I care about blender too, but the
codebase is daunting for me, so I couldn't commit to maintaining it.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team