Old 10-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Mike Frysinger

Default portability.eclass: dead egethome, egetshell, is-login-disabled funcs ?

i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
keeping these before i punt them ?
-mike

Old 10-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Petteri Räty

On 27.10.2011 2.40, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
> is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
> keeping these before i punt them ?
> -mike

Breaking overlays. Isn't the standing policy still to not break
backwards compatibility as long as an eclass exists?

Regards,
Petteri

Old 10-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Markos Chandras

Old 10-30-2011, 09:50 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 10/31/2011 12:37 AM, Markos Chandras wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 10:33 PM, Petteri Räty wrote:
>> On 27.10.2011 2.40, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>> i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
>>> is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason
>>> for keeping these before i punt them ? -mike
>>>

>> Breaking overlays. Isn't the standing policy still to not break
>> backwards compatibility as long as an eclass exists?
>
>> Regards, Petteri
>

> We have no have direct control on overlays. It is up to maintainers to
> ensure that their packages work with portage eclasses or they can have
> their own eclasses locally.

There could be an deprecation warning that the functions are going away
to be nice with overlay maintainers but there is no requirement for such
thing far as I'm aware.

Punt away.

- Samuli

Old 10-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Sunday 30 October 2011 18:33:51 Petteri Räty wrote:
> On 27.10.2011 2.40, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
> > is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
> > keeping these before i punt them ?
>
> Breaking overlays. Isn't the standing policy still to not break
> backwards compatibility as long as an eclass exists?

do you have any actual examples ?
-mike

Old 10-31-2011, 03:44 AM
William Hubbs

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 08:17:47PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Sunday 30 October 2011 18:33:51 Petteri Räty wrote:
> > On 27.10.2011 2.40, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
> > > is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
> > > keeping these before i punt them ?
> >
> > Breaking overlays. Isn't the standing policy still to not break
> > backwards compatibility as long as an eclass exists?

Not that I'm aware of; we only have to worry about the main tree.
Overlays are on their own.

William

Old 10-31-2011, 05:56 AM
Patrick Lauer

On 10/30/11 23:33, Petteri Räty wrote:
> On 27.10.2011 2.40, Mike Frysinger wrote:
>> i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
>> is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
>> keeping these before i punt them ?
>> -mike
>>

> Breaking overlays.

grepping over all overlays that I can checkout I find only the openbsd
overlay having a copy of the eclass, but zero ebuilds using it

Old 10-31-2011, 04:40 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 26 October 2011 19:40:24 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
> is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
> keeping these before i punt them ?

http://sources.gentoo.org/eclass/user.eclass?r1=1.3&r2=1.4
http://sources.gentoo.org/eclass/portability.eclass?r1=1.18&r2=1.19
-mike

Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 PM
Mike Frysinger

On Wednesday 26 October 2011 19:40:24 Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i can't see any ebuild/eclass using egethome, egetshell,
> is-login-disabled from portability.eclass. anyone have a reason for
> keeping these before i punt them ?

hmm, seems a few packages in the tree want this functionality. but they've
been calling getent directly and parsing the result rather than using the
helper funcs. so i've cleaned up & restored the relevant funcs, and converted
the ebuilds in the tree that want this info to use these rather than getent.
-mike