FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Michał Górny
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 07:00:36 +1300
Kent Fredric <kentfredric@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 27 October 2011 06:46, Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
>
> >
> > 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a
> > certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
> > the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the
> > current file is renamed with a date extension and a
> > new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is
> > static and will never be retransmitted
> > by rsync.
> >
>
> For rotation, an arbitrary line-length offset would not be advisable
> in my opinion. It would need to split at a logical place like before
> a "release" entry.
>
> As for codifying this, applying software to automate splitting
> changelogs in this manner could be initially challenging as I've seen
> a few Changelogs with really inconsistent style at the bottom of them.

How many really long changelogs do we have now? Maybe we should just
split them by hand.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
 
Old 10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

> > As for codifying this, applying software to automate splitting
> > changelogs in this manner could be initially challenging as I've seen
> > a few Changelogs with really inconsistent style at the bottom of them.
>
> How many really long changelogs do we have now? Maybe we should just
> split them by hand.

Below is the list of changelogs with more than 50000 bytes. Let's just say, if we apply the rule for files bigger than 100k, we can easily do it by hand and will still see an improvement- also because the biggest files are updated most often (naturally).

Later, the new files will have a regular format and can be processed automatically anyway.

774821 profiles/ChangeLog
166798 sys-kernel/gentoo-sources/ChangeLog
145004 sys-devel/gcc/ChangeLog
141505 sys-libs/glibc/ChangeLog
141397 media-video/mplayer/ChangeLog
133790 kde-base/kdelibs/ChangeLog
133257 www-client/firefox/ChangeLog
131385 x11-base/xorg-server/ChangeLog
130355 x11-base/xorg-x11/ChangeLog
124531 www-client/opera/ChangeLog
123722 sys-fs/udev/ChangeLog
115914 www-servers/apache/ChangeLog
112672 dev-db/mysql/ChangeLog
110957 media-video/vlc/ChangeLog
107961 sys-apps/baselayout/ChangeLog
107492 sys-kernel/git-sources/ChangeLog
105182 sys-kernel/hardened-sources/ChangeLog
104646 www-client/chromium/ChangeLog
100383 sys-kernel/vanilla-sources/ChangeLog
98137 dev-lang/python/ChangeLog
89614 net-misc/asterisk/ChangeLog
87568 dev-lang/php/ChangeLog
83915 profiles/prefix/ChangeLog
82583 net-fs/samba/ChangeLog
82558 dev-vcs/git/ChangeLog
81787 x11-libs/gtk+/ChangeLog
81691 dev-vcs/subversion/ChangeLog
79141 mail-client/evolution/ChangeLog
78127 dev-lang/ruby/ChangeLog
77357 app-emulation/wine/ChangeLog
75159 media-libs/xine-lib/ChangeLog
72634 dev-lang/perl/ChangeLog
72187 x11-drivers/ati-drivers/ChangeLog
72158 sys-devel/binutils/ChangeLog
70403 media-sound/amarok/ChangeLog
70003 mail-mta/postfix/ChangeLog
69801 net-proxy/squid/ChangeLog
68654 media-video/ffmpeg/ChangeLog
68183 sys-kernel/mm-sources/ChangeLog
67484 net-misc/openssh/ChangeLog
66380 media-gfx/imagemagick/ChangeLog
66175 media-tv/mythtv/ChangeLog
66055 www-servers/tomcat/ChangeLog
66045 mail-client/thunderbird/ChangeLog
66003 net-nds/openldap/ChangeLog
65668 net-print/cups/ChangeLog
65665 app-portage/gentoolkit/ChangeLog
65102 dev-libs/glib/ChangeLog
65073 x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers/ChangeLog
63758 app-crypt/gnupg/ChangeLog
62406 app-editors/emacs/ChangeLog
61747 dev-db/phpmyadmin/ChangeLog
61413 net-libs/xulrunner/ChangeLog
61141 dev-libs/openssl/ChangeLog
60826 media-libs/mesa/ChangeLog
60410 net-dns/bind/ChangeLog
60261 app-editors/emacs-vcs/ChangeLog
60117 gnome-extra/evolution-data-server/ChangeLog
59996 sys-apps/portage/ChangeLog
59966 app-antivirus/clamav/ChangeLog
57709 gnome-base/gnome/ChangeLog
57130 gnome-base/nautilus/ChangeLog
56294 dev-java/sun-jdk/ChangeLog
56243 net-news/liferea/ChangeLog
55883 www-servers/lighttpd/ChangeLog
55540 sys-kernel/tuxonice-sources/ChangeLog
54764 sys-kernel/mips-sources/ChangeLog
54436 sys-kernel/linux-headers/ChangeLog
54167 x11-wm/fluxbox/ChangeLog
54141 dev-db/sqlite/ChangeLog
54109 sys-apps/util-linux/ChangeLog
53644 www-client/epiphany/ChangeLog
53641 media-sound/alsa-driver/ChangeLog
53194 gnome-base/gnome-control-center/ChangeLog
52699 app-editors/vim/ChangeLog
52676 x11-libs/qt/ChangeLog
51030 app-editors/vim-core/ChangeLog
50058 sys-libs/db/ChangeLog
50042 www-client/firefox-bin/ChangeLog



--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer - kde, sci, arm, tex
dilfridge@gentoo.org
http://www.akhuettel.de/
 
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Ulrich Mueller
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

>>>>> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011, Andreas K Huettel wrote:

> 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
> In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical
> reasons... Should we still start one?

It's never too late. Even echangelog works in the eclass directory,
once you generate an initial ChangeLog file there.

> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a
> certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog) the file is "rotated" similar
> to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date
> extension and a new file is started. This has the benefit that the
> archived file is static and will never be retransmitted by rsync.

I'd rather truncate the file and keep only the last one or two years
of history.

Also some subdirectories of profiles have their own ChangeLog, and
others don't. Looks pretty much random, e.g. why is there a ChangeLog
in profiles/default/bsd but not in profiles/default/linux? Probably
that's for historical reasons too, and we should rethink it.

Ulrich
 
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 AM
Ryan Hill
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:46:30 +0200
"Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:
>
> 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
> In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical reasons... Should we still start one?
>
> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
> the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a
> new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and will never be retransmitted
> by rsync.

I like both suggestions. Maybe we could split by year? That way the old
non-conforming entries would just go into the oldest log. Delaying rotation
by one year (ie. the first entry in 2012 would cause entries in 2010 to be
split off) would prevent getting a bunch of empty changelogs Jan 1st.


--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
@ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
 
Old 10-31-2011, 07:39 AM
Markos Chandras
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA512

On 10/31/2011 05:45 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:46:30 +0200 "Andreas K. Huettel"
> <dilfridge@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:
>>
>> 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory? In my
>> personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical
>> reasons... Should we still start one?
>>
>> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a
>> certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog) the file is "rotated"
>> similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed
>> with a date extension and a new file is started. This has the
>> benefit that the archived file is static and will never be
>> retransmitted by rsync.
>
> I like both suggestions. Maybe we could split by year? That way
> the old non-conforming entries would just go into the oldest log.
> Delaying rotation by one year (ie. the first entry in 2012 would
> cause entries in 2010 to be split off) would prevent getting a
> bunch of empty changelogs Jan 1st.
>
>
There is always the problem with abandoned (but working) packages
which may have no commits in > 2 years. We'll end up with empty
ChangeLogs.

- --
Regards,
Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.18 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBCgAGBQJOrl7LAAoJEPqDWhW0r/LCliUP/iv03V38dvdqTSYkW6gHMtkB
oK6OU5As6xK+qmaQmcUYFhPByX0Vgfnox1vOJGNiL1plbwBO9m B1gnjSgkvQsM0p
XI2WpuzaTy2Fl28BETabcXyj4iC9yOQeMLncV5Om7SDNIh2Fnu G/72+uZEY+LBq9
U5sDUHKNWCGOJdlg/dl0uqjmxaChwVDGO0h0wuqFyuLtQ+wSYAmhnI8PUsNOhlPN
0GdUNFXCOHePURlofRyhY5eON9t++zG0ZWqLfK8oTuSF0LCaRj MGwpeWnFknp4VH
Gqo8uBWDTgoulYn/KawZ0EuJcysVgx2ghk98F+Gx59VUnHinBdrJaD2tZQE0yh4t
Y1yO6IjTjDqH1yXvcH0BlZYeDNTyHCG+JNse5DOPyvgRRdO6ix KFM6VSE1CQX6oK
ak61+Vps6V0Ir1FBEvu8hIOc9G96vAA9ikGDeZYzgeqwgjf+6M 7Q3uUcZXw5Sr7Q
YPOmyb9s3DkYIAal0/E7JuaZqg4i/0C28B2CyOwB9kddh57jLVAHX6S8oN4V1US+
iy3+TCNdo64wVldDBlDAAbQ+KP5x9ubqd9NDGE/5uy26VWN+dBLiXQYc+fqVHhBx
LU5wdTiCQqzRAPhItmwg0Uti76m/kV6dt6ABUs0dWuuXvpyvxivmADiNX27mzavn
fXbN+AMYkIwi9LLLkpR4
=kEIA
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
 
Old 10-31-2011, 07:47 AM
Nirbheek Chauhan
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
> There is always the problem with abandoned (but working) packages
> which may have no commits in > 2 years. We'll end up with empty
> ChangeLogs.
>

This is a simple technical problem, the solution of which is to take
the "last 6 months" or "last one year" of activity, or the last 50
commits, whichever is more. Or something similar. It's not a
fundamental problem with the idea.

Note that this defence is not an endorsement of the idea itself.

--
~Nirbheek Chauhan

Gentoo GNOME+Mozilla Team
 
Old 10-31-2011, 09:00 PM
Ryan Hill
 
Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 08:39:39 +0000
Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA512
>
> On 10/31/2011 05:45 AM, Ryan Hill wrote:
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 19:46:30 +0200 "Andreas K. Huettel"
> > <dilfridge@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:
> >>
> >> 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory? In my
> >> personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical
> >> reasons... Should we still start one?
> >>
> >> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a
> >> certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog) the file is "rotated"
> >> similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed
> >> with a date extension and a new file is started. This has the
> >> benefit that the archived file is static and will never be
> >> retransmitted by rsync.
> >
> > I like both suggestions. Maybe we could split by year? That way
> > the old non-conforming entries would just go into the oldest log.
> > Delaying rotation by one year (ie. the first entry in 2012 would
> > cause entries in 2010 to be split off) would prevent getting a
> > bunch of empty changelogs Jan 1st.
> >
> >
> There is always the problem with abandoned (but working) packages
> which may have no commits in > 2 years. We'll end up with empty
> ChangeLogs.

notifempty
minsize 5k


--
fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
@ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org