Old 10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
"Andreas K. Huettel"

Default Old changelogs / eclass dir

Dear all,

two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:

1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical reasons... Should we still start one?

2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a
new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and will never be retransmitted
by rsync.

Opinions?

Cheers, Andreas

--
Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer - kde, sci, arm, tex

Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 PM
Kent Fredric

2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)

the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a

new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and will never be retransmitted

by rsync.

For rotation, an arbitrary line-length offset would not be advisable in my opinion. It would need to split at a logical place like before a "release" entry.

As for codifying this, applying software to automate splitting changelogs in this manner could be initially challenging as I've seen a few Changelogs with really inconsistent style at the bottom of them.

*
--
Kent

perl -e* "print substr( "edrgmaM* SPA NOcomil.ic@tfrken", $_ * 3, 3 ) for ( 9,8,0,7,1,6,5,4,3,2 );"

http://kent-fredric.fox.geek.nz

Old 10-26-2011, 06:09 PM
Pacho Ramos

El mié, 26-10-2011 a las 19:46 +0200, Andreas K. Huettel escribió:
> Dear all,
>
> two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:
>
> 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
> In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical reasons... Should we still start one?
>
> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
> the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a
> new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and will never be retransmitted
> by rsync.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Cheers, Andreas

I agree with both

Old 10-26-2011, 06:19 PM
Samuli Suominen

On 10/26/2011 08:46 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> two small suggestions regarding ChangeLogs:
>
> 1) Why is there no ChangeLog in the eclass directory?
> In my personal opinion this is missing there, if only for historical reasons... Should we still start one?
>
> 2) I'd like to suggest that for changelogs that grow beyond a certain size (e.g. profiles/ChangeLog)
> the file is "rotated" similar to /var/log logfiles. I.e. the current file is renamed with a date extension and a
> new file is started. This has the benefit that the archived file is static and will never be retransmitted
> by rsync.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Cheers, Andreas

I agree with both ideas.