FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo Development

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 PM
Brian Harring
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:05:50PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> i wrote a new func for toolchain.eclass: huse. this is because the
> toolchain.eclass supports multiple versions in parallel, and the IUSE value
> can vary greatly between them. so doing `use foo` without checking IUSE first
> doesn't work. since i got a request to use this in other eclasses (for the
> same reason), i figured i'd move it to eutils.eclass so more people can benefit.
>
> now that we have "in_iuse" in eutils.eclass (with all the caveats), i'll be
> adding huse:
> huse() {
> in_iuse $1 || return 1
> use $1
> }
>
> any comments before i publish ?

Call it safe_use.
~brian
 
Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Wednesday 19 October 2011 14:53:07 Brian Harring wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:05:50PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i wrote a new func for toolchain.eclass: huse. this is because the
> > toolchain.eclass supports multiple versions in parallel, and the IUSE
> > value can vary greatly between them. so doing `use foo` without
> > checking IUSE first doesn't work. since i got a request to use this in
> > other eclasses (for the same reason), i figured i'd move it to
> > eutils.eclass so more people can benefit.
> >
> > now that we have "in_iuse" in eutils.eclass (with all the caveats), i'll
> > be
> >
> > adding huse:
> > huse() {
> >
> > in_iuse $1 || return 1
> > use $1
> >
> > }
> >
> > any comments before i publish ?
>
> Call it safe_use.

safe for who ? that implies to me much more vagueness than "iuse" ...
-mike
 
Old 10-19-2011, 07:40 PM
Brian Harring
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 03:26:21PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 October 2011 14:53:07 Brian Harring wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:05:50PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > i wrote a new func for toolchain.eclass: huse. this is because the
> > > toolchain.eclass supports multiple versions in parallel, and the IUSE
> > > value can vary greatly between them. so doing `use foo` without
> > > checking IUSE first doesn't work. since i got a request to use this in
> > > other eclasses (for the same reason), i figured i'd move it to
> > > eutils.eclass so more people can benefit.
> > >
> > > now that we have "in_iuse" in eutils.eclass (with all the caveats), i'll
> > > be
> > >
> > > adding huse:
> > > huse() {
> > >
> > > in_iuse $1 || return 1
> > > use $1
> > >
> > > }
> > >
> > > any comments before i publish ?
> >
> > Call it safe_use.
>
> safe for who ? that implies to me much more vagueness than "iuse" ...

Safe in the sense it does basic IUSE checks prior, so it doesn't
trigger QA warnings for when the ebuild doesn't support the flag.

Name's a bit off though considering if the host was amd64, `huse amd64`
would return 1 since it's not in IUSE.

Either way, the 'iuse' naming rather sucks imo; that implies the
equivalent of `use` (is this flag in iuse?) rather than "is this flag
in iuse and use".

If you're primarily doing this to bypass the QA warnings, than jam
safe into the name, and/or while making sure the docs are clear about
it.

Either way, go nuts- rather not get into a bikeshedding discussion on
this one.
~harring
 
Old 10-19-2011, 07:50 PM
Michał Górny
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:53:07 -0700
Brian Harring <ferringb@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 02:05:50PM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > i wrote a new func for toolchain.eclass: huse. this is because the
> > toolchain.eclass supports multiple versions in parallel, and the
> > IUSE value can vary greatly between them. so doing `use foo`
> > without checking IUSE first doesn't work. since i got a request to
> > use this in other eclasses (for the same reason), i figured i'd
> > move it to eutils.eclass so more people can benefit.
> >
> > now that we have "in_iuse" in eutils.eclass (with all the caveats),
> > i'll be adding huse:
> > huse() {
> > in_iuse $1 || return 1
> > use $1
> > }
> >
> > any comments before i publish ?
>
> Call it safe_use.

Maybe something off 'default' instead? It could be made a little like
USE defaults, falling back to the default value when USE isn't declared.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
 
Old 10-20-2011, 05:26 AM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Wednesday 19 October 2011 15:40:50 Brian Harring wrote:
> Name's a bit off though considering if the host was amd64, `huse amd64`
> would return 1 since it's not in IUSE.

good point. how about "iuse_use" ? or "use_iuse" ?
-mike
 
Old 10-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Donnie Berkholz
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On 01:26 Thu 20 Oct , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 October 2011 15:40:50 Brian Harring wrote:
> > Name's a bit off though considering if the host was amd64, `huse amd64`
> > would return 1 since it's not in IUSE.
>
> good point. how about "iuse_use" ? or "use_iuse" ?
> -mike

use_in_iuse ?

--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Council Member / Sr. Developer
Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.com
 
Old 10-20-2011, 04:22 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Thursday 20 October 2011 11:58:44 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> On 01:26 Thu 20 Oct , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 October 2011 15:40:50 Brian Harring wrote:
> > > Name's a bit off though considering if the host was amd64, `huse amd64`
> > > would return 1 since it's not in IUSE.
> >
> > good point. how about "iuse_use" ? or "use_iuse" ?
>
> use_in_iuse ?

to me, that sounds like "is the use flag in iuse". but maybe i'm over thinking
things.
-mike
 
Old 10-20-2011, 07:22 PM
Donnie Berkholz
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On 12:22 Thu 20 Oct , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Thursday 20 October 2011 11:58:44 Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > On 01:26 Thu 20 Oct , Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 19 October 2011 15:40:50 Brian Harring wrote:
> > > > Name's a bit off though considering if the host was amd64, `huse amd64`
> > > > would return 1 since it's not in IUSE.
> > >
> > > good point. how about "iuse_use" ? or "use_iuse" ?
> >
> > use_in_iuse ?
>
> to me, that sounds like "is the use flag in iuse". but maybe i'm over thinking
> things.

alright, use_if_iuse. That's my last bikeshed for today.


--
Thanks,
Donnie

Donnie Berkholz
Council Member / Sr. Developer
Gentoo Linux
Blog: http://dberkholz.com
 
Old 10-20-2011, 08:01 PM
"Paweł Hajdan, Jr."
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On 10/20/11 9:22 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> alright, use_if_iuse. That's my last bikeshed for today.

I think this is the best one. I didn't really like any of the previously
proposed names, but this one is good.
 
Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 PM
Mike Frysinger
 
Default huse: new helper for low level eclass writers

On Thursday 20 October 2011 16:01:01 Paweł Hajdan, Jr. wrote:
> On 10/20/11 9:22 PM, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
> > alright, use_if_iuse. That's my last bikeshed for today.
>
> I think this is the best one. I didn't really like any of the previously
> proposed names, but this one is good.

yeah, this works for me too

i'll commit this later if there's no more feedback
-mike
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org