Old 10-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Ian Stakenvicius

Default supporting /usr on separate partition (was: Suggestion for getting rid of udev)

On 15/10/11 06:07 PM, Zac Medico wrote:
> On 10/15/2011 01:57 AM, Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
>> On 15.10.2011 10:42, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
>>> in what way will exherbo deal wih this mess? Are there any plans?
>>
>> We don't support /usr on a separate partition. People can, of course, do
>> that and I'll point them to dracut for creating an initramfs.
>>
>> Or they can do whatever works for them. People using Exherbo are
>> expected to be able to deal with such stuff.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea for Gentoo to encourage users to have
> /usr on a separate partition. We should probably remove the separate
> /usr partition from "Code Listing 2.1: Filesystem usage example" in our
> handbook:
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=1&chap=4#doc_chap2_pre1

For desktops i've never seen much purpose of having /usr on its own
partition (or more than the usual 3 of /boot,/,swap tbh), but for
servers I have seen a lot of configurations over the years that put /usr
on its own partition. Exherbo aside, I would expect that Gentoo would
(continue to?) support doing this.

As per the documentation itself, Code Listing 2.1 is i believe an
example of what is possible, not what we are encouraging users to do.
That doc seems pretty clear that the default is partitioning scheme is
the default /boot,/,swap ...

And just to confirm, doesn't udev's installation (which is primarily in
/lib) support /usr on a separate partition now, without an initramfs?