Old 06-26-2011, 04:44 PM
Alex Alexander

Default a virtual advantage ?

On Jun 26, 2011 6:56 PM, "Philip Webb" <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> Yesterday, I upgraded 'xorg-drivers' to the latest stable 1.10

> & then found upon rebooting that X failed to recognise the keyboard.

> Yes, it's happened before & I was not surprised:

> I had to switch the machine off, reboot, login as root

> -- experience long ago made me avoid booting directly into a GUI --

> & recompile 'xf86-input-evdev', after which everything returned to normal.

> Yes, there's a warning after the new 'xorg-drivers' has been installed,

> but I wasn't sure exactly which pkg(s) needed remerging, so took the chance.

> My point is that it looks -- to a naive user -- like a good opportunity

> for another 'virtual', which wb satisfied by Evdev or equivalent.

> This would avoid the problem when busy users miss the warning notice

> (see a current users' thread).

> Perhaps this would in turn need an extension of the 'virtual' concept,

> to require rebuilding of the relevant pkg to satisfy the main emerge.

> There is another thread today re 'revdep-rebuild' + Python + Perl,

> which seems to cover a bit of the same ground.

> Thanks as always to the devs for their conscientious unpaid efforts.

> --

> ========================,,======================== ====================

> SUPPORT * * ___________//___, * Philip Webb

> ELECTRIC * /] [] [] [] [] []| * Cities Centre, University of Toronto

> TRANSIT * *`-O----------O---' * purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

portage 2.2 has a nice set for that called @x11-module-rebuild

Alex | wired

Old 06-26-2011, 05:45 PM
Dale

wrote:

> Yesterday, I upgraded 'xorg-drivers' to the latest stable 1.10

> & then found upon rebooting that X failed to recognise the
keyboard.

> Yes, it's happened before & I was not surprised:

> I had to switch the machine off, reboot, login as root

> -- experience long ago made me avoid booting directly into a GUI --

> & recompile 'xf86-input-evdev', after which everything
returned to normal.

> Yes, there's a warning after the new 'xorg-drivers' has been
installed,

> but I wasn't sure exactly which pkg(s) needed remerging, so took
the chance.

> My point is that it looks -- to a naive user -- like a good
opportunity

> for another 'virtual', which wb satisfied by Evdev or equivalent.

> This would avoid the problem when busy users miss the warning
notice

> (see a current users' thread).

> Perhaps this would in turn need an extension of the 'virtual'
concept,

> to require rebuilding of the relevant pkg to satisfy the main
emerge.

> There is another thread today re 'revdep-rebuild' + Python + Perl,

> which seems to cover a bit of the same ground.

> Thanks as always to the devs for their conscientious unpaid
efforts.

> SUPPORT * * ___________//___, * Philip Webb

> ELECTRIC * /] [] [] [] [] []| * Cities Centre, University of
Toronto

> TRANSIT * *`-O----------O---' * purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

portage 2.2 has a nice set for that called @x11-module-rebuild

Alex | wired

He doesn't use portage 2.2 so he would have to settle for "qlist -I -C
x11-drivers/" instead.* I think his point is, it's easy to miss those
messages and not know you need to rebuild things.* It would be nice if
portage did that for him.* You know, automagically.* ;-)*

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 06-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Pacho Ramos

El dom, 26-06-2011 a las 12:45 -0500, Dale escribió:
> Alex Alexander wrote:
> > On Jun 26, 2011 6:56 PM, "Philip Webb" <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Yesterday, I upgraded 'xorg-drivers' to the latest stable 1.10
> > > & then found upon rebooting that X failed to recognise the
> > keyboard.
> > > Yes, it's happened before & I was not surprised:
> > > I had to switch the machine off, reboot, login as root
> > > -- experience long ago made me avoid booting directly into a GUI
> > --
> > > & recompile 'xf86-input-evdev', after which everything returned to
> > normal.
> > > Yes, there's a warning after the new 'xorg-drivers' has been
> > installed,
> > > but I wasn't sure exactly which pkg(s) needed remerging, so took
> > the chance.
> > >
> > > My point is that it looks -- to a naive user -- like a good
> > opportunity
> > > for another 'virtual', which wb satisfied by Evdev or equivalent.
> > > This would avoid the problem when busy users miss the warning
> > notice
> > > (see a current users' thread).
> > >
> > > Perhaps this would in turn need an extension of the 'virtual'
> > concept,
> > > to require rebuilding of the relevant pkg to satisfy the main
> > emerge.
> > > There is another thread today re 'revdep-rebuild' + Python + Perl,
> > > which seems to cover a bit of the same ground.
> > >
> > > Thanks as always to the devs for their conscientious unpaid
> > efforts.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > ========================,,======================== ====================
> > > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
> > > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of
> > Toronto
> > > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
> > >

> > portage 2.2 has a nice set for that called @x11-module-rebuild
> >
> > Alex | wired
> >

> He doesn't use portage 2.2 so he would have to settle for "qlist -I -C
> x11-drivers/" instead. I think his point is, it's easy to miss those
> messages and not know you need to rebuild things. It would be nice if
> portage did that for him. You know, automagically. ;-)
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

Maybe one option (until portage-2.2 is ready) would be to move the
informative message to pkg_pretend, that way the message would be shown
just after starting "emerge -uDN world" allowing user to interrupt it
and run "emerge -uDN world && emerge -1 $(qlist -I -C x11-drivers/)"
directly.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Philip Webb

110626 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 06/26/2011 06:54 PM, Philip Webb wrote:
>> Yesterday, I upgraded 'xorg-drivers' to the latest stable 1.10
>> & then found upon rebooting that X failed to recognise the keyboard.
>> Yes, it's happened before& I was not surprised:
>> I had to switch the machine off, reboot, login as root
>> -- experience long ago made me avoid booting directly into a GUI --
>> & recompile 'xf86-input-evdev', after which everything returned to normal.
>> Yes, there's a warning after the new 'xorg-drivers' has been installed,
>> but I wasn't sure exactly which pkg(s) needed remerging, so took the chance.
> it gives you an actual command that will emerge all x11-drivers/*.

Yes, but it's not precise enough :

root:534 xorg-server> qlist -I -C x11-drivers/
x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers
x11-drivers/xf86-input-evdev
x11-drivers/xf86-video-nv
x11-drivers/xf86-video-vesa

The only one I needed to remerge is the 2nd in the list.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb

Old 06-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

[...]

But you don't know that for sure, and neither can portage (driver ABI
changes are not something portage can track.) The only sure thing is to
emerge them all.